Re: The use of CGI in films...

if used well and not too much, CGI can help your film being more or less realistic, or may help you create big sets... and now that we are in theme, how to do CGI? I'd like to be able to use them, and if not, well, I'll try another thing, because I really need big sets...

Leonardo812 wrote:
Squash wrote:

You seem to feel much more persecuted than the responses to this thread indicate you are.

Umm...    [Tries to think of way to convince Squash that I don't feel persecuted. Fails]

I care about creating good films. Really good films. To me, CGI is a way to be able to do things in film that I couldn't normally do with stop-motion or live-action. My goal for this thread is not to bemoan the rejection of CGI by many in the brickfilming community, I just want to understand their motives. I don't feel left out of contests or anything else because this is essentially the only place that does that. In the real world of Youtube, film festivals, and film critics, no one really cares if you use CG effects in your films.

So I am very sorry if my responses in this thread seem whiny or self-centered. I honestly don't care very much about entering STAR with a CG film, I only care about understanding why it isn't allowed. Hope that clarifies a bit... mini/smile

Smeagol's response is helpful, and I can see the difficulties in whichever decision he makes. Allow CG, and you have a tough time judging. Don't allow it, and people like me complain.

- Leo

CGI is one of those things that not every one can do. I can't do, must of you guys can do it, and THATS why
I watch it. I am behind Leo on this one. mini/smile mini/bigsmile mini/wink mini/tongue

Avatar, ah? I didn't know we sighed up to control half human half alien bodys? (If you get the joke you WIN. If you don't then you FAIL.

My Youtube:  http://www.youtube.com/user/ehannon1234

XDMan I seriously suggest you stop spamming with smileys it is so annoying. mini/madhead

mini/cat

^ Agreed, this is like the only forum where we DON't like that

''You don't have to tell him how great is coffee is man!''

How about a different approach:
XDMan, We very much value your opinion, but we'd respect it more if it didn't come with random smileys.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fib12345/Lolz/lulz.png
"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.

Sorry mini/sad

Avatar, ah? I didn't know we sighed up to control half human half alien bodys? (If you get the joke you WIN. If you don't then you FAIL.

Your sig gets ANNOYING.

Any way I prefer the raw content of bricks even after all this topic.

welp
Formerly LegoDudez

LegoDudez wrote:

Your sig gets ANNOYING.

How about we rephrase this:
XDMan, we like you and what you have to say, but your signature is distracting because of the smiley icons. Try combining XD and Man.

Wow, all I was trying to do was to be funny mini/madhead .

mini/XD Man wrote:

Wow, all I was trying to do was to be funny mini/madhead .

''You don't have to tell him how great is coffee is man!''

cgi can die its not even a real brickfilm if a film has overused or just cgi its not a real brickfilm, so post brickfilms unless its stuff like piano man he remade that after the original, witch was in lego, this is just my opinion but really cgi why do all that not hard work sitting at a computer making cgi when working hard animators have to move about and take even more time, you can kinda see why people prefer not using cgi in films mini/blankexpression

smeagol is right about CG its better the do everything from scratch

Please don't dig up old threads. mini/smile

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

silents429 wrote:

cgi can die its not even a real brickfilm if a film has overused or just cgi its not a real brickfilm, so post brickfilms unless its stuff like piano man he remade that after the original, witch was in lego, this is just my opinion but really cgi why do all that not hard work sitting at a computer making cgi when working hard animators have to move about and take even more time, you can kinda see why people prefer not using cgi in films mini/blankexpression

I couldn't understand your post that well, but it seems to me that you are saying that CGI is not as hard as stop-motion. Trust me, it's harder. I spent several weeks just getting a mini-figure ready to animate; I'm going to have to spend several more weeks getting enough bricks modeled so I can build sets for any films I plan to use it in, then I actually have to build those sets. Then, considering I have a mini-figure with more articulation, I'm going to have to spend the better part of a day or two getting the movements fluid and looking right, and that's just on ONE mini-figure. Then I'm going to have to spend even MORE time doing the lighting, then I have to wait for the whole thing to render, which could take hours. And that's without texturing, reflection, and other things.

CGI is just as hard as stop-motion, if not harder, and it ticks me off when people who probably haven't even tried CGI say different. Now... *brushes off shoulders* ... I'd actually like to see this discussion continue.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

I don't mind when CGI is used in brickfilms, as long as it enhances the film, not detract from it. In the majority of brickfilms that use CGI, it is poorly done and ruins the mood. Only a small group of brickfilmers are able to incorporate the CGI well, and use it their advantage. 
However, CG doesn't tell a better story than stop-motion. The use of one or the other should be based on it's ability to tell the story in a good way. 
So I'm not totally against CGI, I'm just against CGI that ruins films.

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

It really gets on my nerves how people cannot accept that some brickfilmers use CGI.  some use it occasionally, others use it a lot.  My point being that brickfilming should be about telling a story, not staying true to stop motion.  I do think a brickfilm loses something if it's entirely CGI, but it is up to the creator to choose what method best tell his/her story.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2889/8957456571_f23867aeec_o.jpg
PITCH Part 1 Out Now!
Part 2 Coming Soon