Re: Summer Contest: Sight & Sound

I'm going to save you some time and tell you to look for your own SFX or make your own. Valve is one of the largest companies in the video game industry and they are not going to let just anyone let them use their sound effects without a big name or money behind them. This is the equivalent of trying to call up Lucasfilm so that you can use their lightsaber sound effects.

mini/shifty mini/shifty

I've downloaded most of the SFX I wanted and also downloaded some gun SFX from OrangeFreeSounds.

Thanks for all of your great advice mates!

I have another question mini/XD :

My film dialogues are Persian and It's a bit hard to do an English version of it, so let me know if I'm allowed to put subtitles or not? Does it affect my score?

Mod edit: Please don't double post. ~Sorry mini/sweat

Last edited by Shahriar (August 28, 2016 (12:18pm))

Subtitles are fine. Having your film in a foreign language with good subtitles may even set it apart from other entries in a positive way! I don't think any of the judges know Persian so if you don't have some kind of translation (including subtitles) it could be difficult for us to judge.

As a reminder -- sounds being downloadable doesn't mean you can use them in your film! This contest is intended for films that the creator has legal ownership or license for all of the content in the film. Most all content on the web is the copyrighted property of somebody. So you need to use sounds that are explicitly licensed as public domain, or creative commons. Or, better yet, create your own sound effects! Ripping sound effects from videogames, besides not being within the rules of the contest, is outside the spirit of a contest devoted to sound design as well.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Sméagol wrote:

Subtitles are fine. Having your film in a foreign language with good subtitles may even set it apart from other entries in a positive way! I don't think any of the judges know Persian so if you don't have some kind of translation (including subtitles) it could be difficult for us to judge.

Good to hear that! I'm going to add subtitles.
Also, should I make the credits in English and then re-release my work with Persian ones or can I make it in Persian and write the cast in English when I post the film?

Sméagol wrote:

As a reminder -- sounds being downloadable doesn't mean you can use them in your film! This contest is intended for films that the creator has legal ownership or license for all of the content in the film. Most all content on the web is the copyrighted property of somebody. So you need to use sounds that are explicitly licensed as public domain, or creative commons. Or, better yet, create your own sound effects! Ripping sound effects from videogames, besides not being within the rules of the contest, is outside the spirit of a contest devoted to sound design as well.

I knew that! I checked the copyright information before downloading any sound effect.

Shahriar wrote:

Also, should I make the credits in English and then re-release my work with Persian ones or can I make it in Persian and write the cast in English when I post the film?

Persian credits are fine if you can provide a text translation of any important information alongside the video! (in the description or something would do fine)

I'm a bit confused by the ending time of the contest. Im in the UK so does that mean it will end in 5 hours or will it be tomorrow midnight? Thanks.

If you're wondering about the deadline, check out the countdown clock.

Looks like we have just over 1 day (24 hours) left!

That's excellent news! Thanks mini/bigsmile Good luck mini/smile

This isn't excellent dude... I'm still working on my entry mini/sad mini/no
I know it's too late, but I changed my story 3 times!
Maybe (I wish it doesn't happen) I couldn't enter the contest, but I try to do my best and finish it before the deadline.

Here, It's 3:00 AM and everyone is sleeping, but me, working on my entry...

Last edited by Shahriar (August 30, 2016 (03:33pm))

Yes, the countdown clock should clear up any confusion about the amount of time left, as that has always confused some folks in the past.

So excited to see everyone's entries!

Previously known as Gillcrafter

"I'm not superstitious. But I am a little stitious."
                                                            -Michael Scott

I've been working through the night also Shahriar! Its so hard to keep a consistent quality of animation whilst you're tired haha.

Good luck StonyCharlie and Shahriar! mini/smile

-Michael Scott

Woo.. thanks for that countdown clock, would've entered too late if we didn't know that! mini/eek

-BrickBrosProductions

Youtube Channel https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCm2mA8FCaPP1ySSA8CL46YQ
"Do everything you do for the glory of the one who made you.."

Thanks Gillcrafter! You too mini/smile

Thanks Stonycharlie! mini/smile

Last edited by AgentMichaelScarn22 (August 30, 2016 (07:44pm))

-Michael Scott

The list at the bottom of the first post of this thread is up-to-date as of this writing for entries that qualify.

There have been three disqualifications so far -- please check your messages if you've submitted and aren't on the list!

As a reminder, you may not include movie franchise characters or any other sort of trademarked/copyrighted characters in your films!

What time will all the submissions be due?

-Michael Scott

It's a little under 24 hours now! Check the countdown clock for any clarification.

Well its 4:42am and I've finished animating for the night. Time to wake up at around 11am and continue until midnight! Goodnight and good luck people. Wish you all the best mini/smile

Thank you very much Stoneycharlie and Gillcrafter mini/bigsmile
Good luck everyone! Only 7 hours remaining...
I'am hardly working on my entry, but remind me to tell what happened; after the deadline!