Re: 2015 Community Brickfilm Project Discussion

Allow me to elaborate upon what I meant:

Imagine if I, in 2008, had tried to create a great big pirate brickfilm, based upon the idea that I have a great pirate story that I really want to animate.  However, poor 2008 Squid doesn't have any pirate LEGO at all, thus he goes off to make the pirate film, but he just uses stand-ins for the pirates which are not actually pirates, and don't quite look the part, and the ship is a viking ship rather than a pirate one.  To say nothing of 2008 Squid's lacking animation skill, the resulting film would look obviously weird since having pirate LEGO is an important element in making a pirate film.

I feel it's important to take some things into account when developing a story.  Whilst they may sound dandy in your head, if not considered properly, they would be found entirely impractical when an attempt to execute the story is made.

That was the basis of the idea I was trying to present at least, however I do think it's very important that the story be thought of in a place of high regard, with emphasis upon making it very nice.

There is an order to this process, and you can't just swap things around.

I have, to some degree or other, gone out of this order for every film I have ever made.  So one can.  It does not have to be a certain way for everyone.  But by no means do I think that your technique is something bad, in fact, it is a good idea.  Structure and order are quite important.

Squid wrote:

There is an order to this process, and you can't just swap things around.

I have, to some degree or other, gone out of this order for every film I have ever made.  So one can.  It does not have to be a certain way for everyone.  But by no means do I think that your technique is something bad, in fact, it is a good idea.  Structure and order are quite important.

I normally break the order as well, especially if I do a film based on my Minifigure Challenge. Basically, every time I buy one of the collectible minifigures, I have to come up with a film idea for it (short or long, any idea at all). If I get duplicates, I have to incorporate them as well. So while I may start pre-production on most of my films with the story as the absolute first element I come up with, visual style/minifigs or pieces I want to use are sometimes are the first element instead. I think the order is very flexible; it really depends on what the purpose of your film is (whether you want to tell a specific story, hone some particular skills, experiment with a new visual style, or a mixture of those things).

Of course on a project like this, following an ordered workflow as Nathan's suggested is probably the best way to go, though it never hurts to consider what people might actually be able to do in the early stages. Also, community projects like this are just as much about the people taking part as it is about the final product, since half the fun of something like this is working in tandem with others, so I'm not sure about everyone's back and forth horse-and-cart analogies (they seem to start to break down whichever way you look at them in my opinion).

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

An interesting idea I recently had:

A character who appears in most scenes could perhaps change his clothes over the length of the film, and each time he goes out do a different location (built by a different animator) the main character could have changed into a different outfit.  Thus only a matching head for each animator would be required, and the outfit could be whatever each animator has best suited.

Of course, using this option, it would likely be best if the head and hair had a decent bit of character to it, and not something like a classic smiley face, as it then may feel almost as if the character changed.

Of course, if it goes well we might get all of the animators able to build the main character, but I thought it a good idea to keep in mind.

sillypenta wrote:

Sorry but I don't think that sounds like a good idea. I don't think it would be better to make people go to the effort of making a scene before rejecting them when you could just pick a team from the start. Hosting different contests would also mean there wouldn't be a unified animation team and there couldn't be as good discussions on look and style.

Hhmm. Didn't think of that. Sounds good.

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

I will help in any way I can... If you do not want my help, then I will not help. If you do want my help, I will help.
But otherwise, consider this comment unsaid, and I will resume doing my own thing.

-RandomBoaz    YouTube

Very well. Should your comment be said upon further then it will be said, however if it remains unsaid then what you have said shall not be said in the event of any unsaid-ness.

Squid wrote:

A character who appears in most scenes could perhaps change his clothes over the length of the film, and each time he goes out do a different location (built by a different animator) the main character could have changed into a different outfit.  Thus only a matching head for each animator would be required, and the outfit could be whatever each animator has best suited.

This could work.

I actually really like this community project idea. It reminds me of Cinémagique - where a character from the audience gets sucked into the film and travels across the history of cinema. A Brickfilm version of this could be easily done, and different animators could animate different sections. It would be like how The LEGO Movie travels across different genre's, and it would be totally flexible for each animator since all they would need to do is make sure that they start their section in the place specified and end their section in the place specified.

YouTube
Max, She/They

Currently looking for community input!
Fellow community members! We are currently looking for community input. If you are a member of Bricks in Motion, and want to help us out on this community project, please click the link below to take out short survey concerning the project. All ideas are welcome. This survey may not last very long (probably only two weeks), so try to post your ideas fast! mini/sunnies

Click here to take the survey

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Done. Hope I've been of some help.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Filled out.

I'm....................................... A brickfilming noob.

Responded.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I also filled out the poll. You should have a good start with some input.

Jared

Replied and stuff.

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

Ditto

"...just take stuff apart.  Be heartless, do not develop feelings for these sets..." -Squid
YouTube
My standards: Philippians 4:8

Yessum. Myself included.

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

Done.............

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

I would totally like to participate in this! I think your doing great right now rio, keep it up! mini/smile

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

So, what's the story on this? Has this project died? I was looking forward to it...

I typed some words into a thing and clicked a button.

Indy wrote:

So, what's the story on this? Has this project died? I was looking forward to it...

I think Rio is taking a break. Once he is coming back to the project the writing team with begin writing...I hope. mini/tongue

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

Right now a post has not been made in the writers forum for about a month.  We started off pretty busy at first, but we never managed to settle upon an idea.  Although I did think up one I quite liked, and another for good measure.  And in general we had no shortage of ideas, just not one everyone was sure about doing.  After that things started getting quiet until it went completely stagnant.

Thus, I am unsure where everything is going to go for now.  Perhaps I should go ahead and write a rough script and see what the other writers think of it.

Anyway, I'm really sorry about all of that, we probably should have said something sooner.
Of course, this does not necessarily mean that the project is canceled  I still think it could be made to work.  I have not heard word from the rest of the group recently, though, so I don't know what else is on their minds.