Re: Brickfilming Discussion Week 11: Learn from the Best

Nathan Wells wrote:

I'm actually slowly working on downloading, converting and archiving many of those old brickfilms before they are lost forever. I don't know what I will do with them once I have them archived, but hosting them online at some point might be an option.

That's great to hear. Are you taking up the mantle as unofficial curator of the as yet-to-be-established online museum of brickfilming history?

Hmmm, may be worth looking in to...

TCOTY Entry: The Perks of Being TCOTY
ToY Entry: Secrets of the Lost Tomb
Please visit me on the YouTubes!
Care to follow me on the Twitter?

We need some kind of page to see what films we have, and what are unaccounted for, I have a bunch of old downloads between two computers and about four hard drives of old brick films, many of which are not available for download anymore including some Nosniborus stuff and Night Owl stuff.

END films wrote:
NXTManiac wrote:

Faithless

Couldn't seem to find a YouTube link so I dug through the Wayback Machine. This film is eight years old but still holds up pretty well. One thing it has over many brickfilms is how complete the film is. The story is told well, it's ambitious, large in scope, and has some nice visuals to accompany it all. This was one of my favourites back in the day, largely due to the scale of the film which was very inspirational.

Actually, going through the old Brickfilms.com directory through the Wayback Machine is a great source of excellent brickfilms. I remember searching through pages of each category and being dazzled by the work on display. Good stuff.

I'm dissapointed my new computer can't run the real media program from my old computer because it's 64 bit and a lot of those films back then were uploaded as a .rm or .rmvb file type. mini/sad

Try VLC Player? Unless I misunderstood your situation, it's pretty much been able to play any old brickfilm I'll download since it supports everything.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

AlNickelsFilms wrote:

Are you taking up the mantle as unofficial curator of the as yet-to-be-established online museum of brickfilming history?

Yes, it's one of my projects that I work on when I have the time. I think preserving these films are important. Luckily, I've been able to track down a lot of films thanks to many hours of digging, aided by MindGame, BertL and others.

SlothPaladin wrote:

We need some kind of page to see what films we have, and what are unaccounted for, I have a bunch of old downloads between two computers and about four hard drives of old brick films, many of which are not available for download anymore including some Nosniborus stuff and Night Owl stuff.

I have a fairly extensive Google Doc set up, though it hasn't been completely formatted properly yet. I'll try to release it publicly soon.

Since there appears to be some interest, in the next few days I'll start a new topic soon relating to this archival project.

If you're making a collection, then you need to find a brickfilm (was it by a guy called Night Owl?) about a man who makes a giant potato, but the potato comes alive and eats him. It was a total masterpiece (however goofy the concept sounds) but I've searched and can no longer find it.

Also, Ghost Train. The lighting is glorious and deserves to be noticed.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I do have Night of the Tater somewhere I am 95% sure of it

Nathan Wells wrote:

Since there appears to be some interest, in the next few days I'll start a new topic soon relating to this archival project.

I realize we're straying a bit from your original topic but I must say good on you Nathan! I too think its important to preserve these 'old' films. It will certainly be a difficult process but I think it is a worthwhile pursuit and should make for a very interesting project (and thread).

TCOTY Entry: The Perks of Being TCOTY
ToY Entry: Secrets of the Lost Tomb
Please visit me on the YouTubes!
Care to follow me on the Twitter?

I'd like to know some of the best "Classic" brickfilms that are being archived.  Nathan, can you write a list of what you consider the classics and their year of release, unless there is a thread?

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Here's my top pick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qTSqiE … mp;index=5

This is a little known brickfilm, but I have always considered it a classic. Nearly two hours long, this film depicts Stephan Parson and his friends attempting to survive an icy apocalypse. I enjoy this film because it really feels to me like I am in it, hiding in a church, looking out the window to check to see if the ice monsters are out there. Will they freeze me? Will my friends and family survive? Will I survive? Is there any chance of ridding the world of the ice monsters? I also really enjoy the lighting in this movie, particularly in the scene when they are fleeing the airport. It really looks like it is night in an abandoned airport. The animation is very smooth, and the characters have interesting personalities. If you are looking for inspiration for a brickfilm about survival, horror, friendship, responsibility, action, or escape, look no further than the ice storm.

Another film I find inspiring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsDfBw4 … p;index=19

Grace made its claim to fame when it won Brickfilms.com's "Fame, Infamy, and Glory" contest. Dyland already mentioned it earlier, but I wish to go into more detail. I find myself going to this film constantly for inspiration, as it is incredible. While there are numerous plot holes, it is difficult to explore a futuristic dystopia thoroughly in a ten minute time limit. The animation is incredible, especially in the fight sequences. The characters are not the best developed, but their basic ideals are obvious. My favorite scene is the end, which never fails to give me inspiration for delivering morals. Here, all conflicts come together in a fast-paced climax, in which Fabron's words are delivered in the most action-packed and dramatic way possible: "A glorious warrior shows grace, even to those who do not." That has to be one of the greatest morals of the decade! This film is monumental in inspiration for fight sequences, morals, and drama (at least for me).

"Defeat is always momentary."

-Carl Denham, King Kong (2005)

The Brickfilm Archival Project is now live!

http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/to … l-project/

Henri & Edmond - Copyright

One of my favorite brickfilms. It's absolutely spectacular, and any brickfilmer who hasn't seen it already should go and watch it now. The plot manages to entertain the viewer for 30+ minutes, and the animation and cinematography is fantastic. The technical aspects, such as the sunset lighting at 22:47, are also very well done.

jampot wrote:

If you're making a collection, then you need to find a brickfilm (was it by a guy called Night Owl?) about a man who makes a giant potato, but the potato comes alive and eats him. It was a total masterpiece (however goofy the concept sounds) but I've searched and can no longer find it.

Also, Ghost Train. The lighting is glorious and deserves to be noticed.

I first thought of this video by BlobStudios, but I don't think that's it.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

I'm really glad to see the Brickfilm Archive project getting underway.  I feel like I should be watching more classic brickfilms.

Anyway, most of the brickfilms I consider to be inspiring have already been listed, but I feel I should mention Indiana Scones and the Quest for the Platinum Waffle.  Along with The Letter, it was one of the first brickfilms I ever saw.  It first gave me the idea to make brickfilms myself, though it was not until several years later that I actually decided to act upon this idea.

Also, Bestia gave me many interesting ideas for camera movement.

I think i should mention Good Company as well.  I only saw it fairly recently, but it's a brickfilm based off Heart of Darkness.  That alone makes it awesome.  (I was actually vaguely contemplating making a Heart of Darkness-inspired brickfilm myself, but set in scifi space-type setting, at one point, though it never got beyond being a vague idea at the back of my head.)  Maybe it's just me personally, since I really liked the book, but I really like this film.

Last, but certainly not least, Pirates Rule!.  While I had been familiar with Brickfilms before, this (and How Not To Rob a Bank) were what really inspired me to get going.  Basically, they're the reason why I first began to brickfilm and joined this site.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Picturesque. One of the most brilliant brickfilms I've ever seen. I'd post a video link, but it's in 3 parts. https://www.youtube.com/user/NickDurron

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16