Re: Brickfilming Discussion Week 3: Brickfilms With Licensed Themes

Well said. I couldn't agree more. There are few brickfilmers that can produce good, high quality brickfilms. And something I might add is that most brickfilms (not just licensed themed brickfilms) don't have good stories.  To often you have shootouts, car chases, and parades that just don't have any story.

http://youtu.be/oPy8LyfFz_Y

This is an example of what everyone thinks when someone says "Lego Bat-Man brickfilm". Thanks to Swuid for this eye opening video.

This...is a tricky one for me.

On the one hand, I do enjoy creating. I like having my own ideas and stories and sort of being the master of those, and a well-produced original idea is usually far more interesting than something more familiar. Granted, this prospect is also daunting to me, as producing an entirely original idea is very difficult. Not just in the execution, but believing that your ideas are good ones worth pursuing, and you're never really gonna know until you just go for it.

On the other hand, I also really enjoy working in the realm of preexisting IPs, and to go out on a limb, I like to think that I'm actually pretty good at it. Working with already-existing characters and worlds does take care of a good chunk of the creation work for you, and you can feel a bit more assured that the IP you're working in is tried and true and successful. For me, this allows me to better focus my creative energy on characterizations and story; if you know your characters and world well, dialogue and plotting come very easily. For some, it might not be the most creatively-rewarding route to take, since your film exists with the idea that people watching it know what your film is based on, but I do find there is a sense of satisfaction in putting your own mark on a property you love.

However, I can't think of anything more boring than an IP-based film with little to no substance behind it - mostly used as an excuse for a technical exercise like a fight scene or something (though this does not extend to film scene recreations. Those are still fun to watch, IMO). Sure, your animation and choreographic prowess may impress some, but a film like that is really a dime-a-dozen, in all honesty. YouTube is loaded with Marvel superhero fight scenes, or Star Wars lightsaber battles, you need to do something truly unique in order for them to have any kind of lasting appeal beyond a couple of months. Plus, with such a flux of those appearing on YouTube these days, it just sort of feels lazy; you've got this amazing universe to do whatever you want, and all you come up with is an action scene we've seen over and over before. Give me something new, give me reason to care, give me something really worth watching.

Producing original content is more of a high risk-high reward kind of artistry, IP-based content is usually a lot safer (though how safe is entirely up to your own ambition). There are pros and cons on both sides, depending on the quality of the director's ideas and their confidence in them. I'm of the belief that any idea can be compelling if told right, which goes for both original ideas and adapted ideas. I don't think there should be a stigma for wanting to make films based on preexisting IPs, but in order for them to truly stand out as a piece of artistry, they need to be treated as if they were an original idea. Part of the world-building work is done for you, sure, but that's not an excuse to simply lean on that as a crutch. Don't be afraid to make that world your own a little bit and put your own stamp on it.

As far as being beneficial/detrimental to the hobby, I don't think the idea of IP-based films are a problem, necessarily. It's how animators choose to utilize those IPs and whether or not they produce things because they are easy or because they are genuinely inspired.

Last edited by MindGame (May 20, 2014 (06:20pm))

I think that original Brickfilms are ultimately the best. They show creativity and originality. With licensed themes, there is already a storyline, so if you make a film with one of those themes, the viewers always think about how the character should act, because he already has a background. I started out making licensed-themed brickfilms, and occasionally, I still make a few of them. But mostly, I stick to original ideas because they are so much more enjoyable to make and to watch.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm happy to see the great discussions these threads are producing.

A scheduling note: I am currently on vacation and away from my computer, so Monday's discussion topic will be posted late on Tuesday instead. Sorry for the delay!

Waiting another day?  That's unacceptable!

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Can't wait for the next discussion.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein