Re: Filmmaking & Brickfilming Discussion Week 2: Dealing with the Mockers

backyardlegos wrote:

I was bullied a lot in elementary school, a lot.
There were a few people who picked on me relentlessly, and it really wore down on me in a way that I wasn’t even aware.  ...whenever there was a situation where one person would be alienated (group projects, playground games etc) I was almost always the one left out. As I put up emotional walls to protect myself, it got to the point where I was, and still am, virtually incapable of making friends on my own. Because of the bullying I experienced as a child, I assume subconsciously that no one likes me.   
The lesson here is that as painful as bullying is, don’t put up emotional walls to protect yourself. Walls don’t just keep out the people who don’t like you, they keep out the people who love you or would love you if they could just get to know you. In the last few years I’ve removed those walls for one person, and it felt great, and I’m trying to remove them entirely, but it’s really hard and emotionally draining, better to never build the walls than have to struggle to tear them down.

Been there, done that.  Err...been there, stayed there, still there.  Whoops. 
Yeah, those emotional walls are not a pleasant thing, and I completely understand what you're talking about.  I'm glad to hear you've been able to slowly start tearing down those walls for someone, nice work, you'll get there.

Backyardlegos-

Very brave of you to be so open and honest. Thanks for sharing your story.

backyardlegos wrote:

I wish I could tell that to 10 year old me, but maybe I can tell someone else before they end up like me.

Good for you - I hope you do make a difference; even if it's only for one person.

TCOTY Entry: The Perks of Being TCOTY
ToY Entry: Secrets of the Lost Tomb
Please visit me on the YouTubes!
Care to follow me on the Twitter?

From an adult's perspective:

I was homeschooled from pre-school through high school. I attended community college and then attended San Jose State University and earned my Bachelor of Arts in Graphic Design. I now work as a full-time graphic designer.

While I was homeschooled, everyone who knew about my LEGO hobby thought it was cool. When I transitioned to community college (which is also when I got into brickfilming), I was a little apprehensive talking about LEGO and brickfilming at first. But when I dared to open up, I was always greeted with interest, fascination and support. Many of the comments included "I loved LEGO!" "I wonder if I have my old sets?" "How do you do that?" and so on. Quickly in my classes I was known as the "LEGO guy" and it was always positive. In fact, my Bricks in Motion video tutorials were made as a final project for a digital media class.

When I moved on to San Jose State, the reaction was the same, even amplified: Everyone thought it was cool, it reminded them of growing up, and they always were interested and respectful. I used LEGO and brickfilming for several class projects, including E-Learning and You.

As I moved on from college and into the workforce, my experience remained the same. I don't go around telling everyone I work with that I brickfilm or build with LEGO, but I'm still known as the "LEGO guy" to certain people I work with, and they all think it's cool. A few people even watch my brickfilms and eagerly await my next film.

When you're adult, a lot of things get better. Nowadays, everyone has a hobby or an interest that isn't a part of the "mainstream," and almost everyone is quite accepting. If you're being bullied now while in school, try to remember this: it gets better. Don't give up on any hobby that interests you just because other people can be jerks.

I've never been 'Bullied' but people have thought collecting Lego is stupid. and the fact of making lame movies. got on my nerves. so my mane point is i have been made fun of plenty of times. I've been called 'Film faces' 'Lego nerd' 'money waster' 'Toy hoarder' stuff like that. So i guess i have had a bad birckfilming experience. the films that were made fun of i removed from youtube.

@Nathan, I was Homeschooled.

Moved an have no room to animate, but I do have a Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/84070766@N07/ My friends and I have been composing a Comic Series: http://cosmosquestcomic.com

Nathan Wells wrote:

...I was homeschooled...

I, too, have been homeschooled. (In 2nd, 4th, and 6th - 12th grades, the final one wrapping up just next week mini/tongue) I always used to find it interesting whenever I read of/met someone else who was homeschooled until about a few years ago. I now know of so many homeschoolers, I'm no longer amazed - Now, to find someone who's gone through a similar education, and has some sort of interesting hobby, seems almost commonplace. It's no longer one of those "Oh, you were what?" moments - It's much less rare as of present.

And, though I'd even argue that with the curriculum that I learned was much better than the ones I learned at school, (In Pre-School - 1st grade, 3rd grade, and 5th grade.) that's just a matter of opinion, and comparison between differing courses. The thing I CAN say, with the utmost certainty, is that being homeschooled really helped me choose brickfilming as a hobby, AND, helped me build up the strength against the mockers and the bullies.

When I was interested with LEGO in 3rd grade, I was all the rage! By 5th grade, at a new school, I was STILL pretty popular, having now focused more on Writing and Film-Making in my "coming out" as a brickfilmer. - And it worked. The discussions within the halls of a High-School may have been different, however, and, I'm really glad that I never saw them. I, instead, still lived in a "world" where my hobby was praised, and I, for the most part, was applauded for my work on films, even if when using "children's toys."

It's easy to see that now, with Back to the Future, GhostBusters, and Minecraft sets in the making, LEGO is no longer just a plastic rival to Lincoln Logs - They are now transforming into legitimate collectors items, just like the glue-able models that were sold to a predominantly adult market. - Now, they're truly for Everyone!

- Some advice to those STILL facing criticism for their AWESOME hobby; Just remember the LEGO Studios theme from the early 2000's. It was endorsed by one of the greatest film-makers of all time - Steven Spielberg. That was a great "even ground line" I'd use whenever I DID face mockery and teasing. It's hard to argue with the same man who was behind Jaws, Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan, and the Indiana Jones series!

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

I've also found that once you get to college people tend to be more accepting of others. The kinds of people who attend a university aren't the kinds that judge other people just for being different, for the most part. Once you get into the adult world there are definitely a lot more accepting people.

im a funny and charismatic individual so when people find out ive made lego movies they're usually impressed and/or intrigued, when they actually see the videos they're usually disturbed and afraid of me afterwards, thus all charisma is lost and nobody thinks im funny, just insane

thanks, lego movies

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

I have had the good fortune of never having had to deal with bullies or mockery, at least not in a truly malicious way. My friends and family have all been supportive of me and my brickfilming pretty much since the start, and most of them actually look forward to projects I'm working on. In fact, I have a tendency to be overly modest about myself, so some of them I've kind of come to rely on them to help describe my work when I tell people what kind of animation I do.

Of course, it also helps to have a bit of a sense of humor about it, too. Because, the fact of the matter is, LEGO stop-motion is a pretty unusual hobby for someone to pick up in their teenage years (or sooner, for some). It's not something you need to be ashamed of, or let people make you feel ashamed. If you are really passionate about the hobby and believe in it, then you have no reason to feel badly about it or yourself, but it's good to have some self-awareness about it. Be proud of what you do, but that doesn't mean you need to take it seriously all the time in order for others to respect it - in fact, that's probably the fastest way to get people to be weirded out by it/you. Be able to crack a few jokes or take a few jokes in good humor, and don't let it rock your faith in brickfilming - that's how to be truly secure with yourself and with what you do.

Plus, to echo Nate here, as you grow older and mature, worrying about things like this become less and less important. It's a pretty childish thing to make fun of another person for something that they do, which is why it most commonly occurs when people are children - there are more important things to be doing with yourself and your time than to berate someone over something that they enjoy. People know me by my brickfilming and movie knowledge, and that's just part of my identity. It's not anyone else's prerogative to try to put me down for that, because, really, what would be the point?

Basically, it comes down to this: if someone feels the need to demean you over something as trivial as making LEGO films in your free time, what you need to ask yourself is, "What are they trying to prove, and to whom?"

You know, I've never had people mock me for being a brickfilmer or having a collection of over 150 Lego sets. Most people I know (even my parent's friends) think it's really cool. My closest friends can't wait for my next videos. So I'm really fortunate that people are really accepting of my hobbies and I think that's really cool. mini/smile