Re: Filmmaking and Brickfilming Discussion - Week 1: Why LEGO?

I'm probably a unique case in that, before I started brickfilming, I owned 1 lego set. ~34 pieces. Everything else I've bought for the purpose of brickfilming. 
     So why animation? I'd done some animation before, with drawing and manually editing in paint. I bought the first lego set randomly to play with. I couldn't sleep one night and was thinking about my mums new phones ability to connect to the computer to transfer photos (Hi-tech stuff back then) then I got to thinking about my paint animations again. I put two and two together and at four a.m. made my first brickfilm.
      When I strung the pictures together, I loved the results. I was hooked, I bought two more lego sets the next day. A couple weeks later after some research I found some resources and started using a webcam to make my films.

And Now I've got a whole toolbox full of lego that I've never seen as anything more than a tool in my nefarious plans.

"every day I feel more pleased that sigging isn't a thing anymore" - Squash
YOUTUBE | Will voice act, ping me in the discord.
03:52    Smeagol    I should send girls turds in a box
01:28    Smeagol    That signature leaves me wondering if I should be sending more girls more turds in boxes than I presently am

Well, I may as well pitch in and give my brief account of why I use lego.

I never thought too much of lego. I had a couple of sets that sat on my dresser and that was about it. But one day my older brother was like, "You guys want to see something cool?" and I was like, "Heck ya!" so we sat down and watched the worst animated brick-film ever. But we thought "Holy cows, this is amazing! We have to try this." so taking a little digital camera, we sat down on the floor and took some videos at 2 frames a sec. and loved it. And every year since then we have bought better webcams and more lego.

And then about 4 or 5 years ago we found FancyPant, we thought our minds would blow, he instantly became our inspiration.

So after that, we seriously buckled down and started thinking of how to further our brick-filming skills. So we bought 50 pounds of lego, started using a Rebel T1I, bought Dragon-Frame Pro, and practiced...a lot. And as far as I am concerned, stop-motion with lego is the hobby I would like to do for the rest of my life.

i sw a forestfre101 vid

Last edited by Rockydude411 (May 10, 2014 (06:31pm))

I've always loved making movies, and made a few films when I was kid with my small collection of toys. I made one video of a group of LOTR Risk pieces attacking a paper castle I made, for instance, and I'd make videos whenever my family went on vacation. I occasionally played with Lego, but my collection was pretty small and I had grown out of it by middle school.

Then I discovered some Star Wars brickfilmer called pizzamovies on Youtube in 2007. His videos weren't that great, but he seemed pretty good to me, and through him I discovered some other popular filmmakers (Fancypants, spugesdu, etc). I started wanting to make videos of my own, and ordering Star Wars Lego using Gift cards. After a while I got a youtube channel, got some videos of my own and a tiny bit of followers, many of whom I was friends with. Then we all gradually lost interest in making brickfilms, especially after running a site that fell apart because of disinterest and a few betrayals.

About a year ago I really started wanting to get back into animating again and started looking around for contest, tutorials, and things like that, and ran across the Contrast contest on this forum. That has really helped me get interested and invested in brickfilming again, and my skill has improved by leap and bounds because of discovering this forum.

you can animate a video without having to bring your friends over. Just have them record their lines that way you don't have to worry about the one sweaty guy on set stinking the place up. You will have 0 distractions and no problems when animating alone.

Not to mention you get to hoard all the LEGO in your house since you're using it most of the time and not your younger/older brothers/sisters.

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?