Re: What was the last movie you watched?

jampot wrote:
Willco66 wrote:

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
Surprised this one hasn't been mentioned by more people...

I want to, but I still haven't seen the other four. Probably wouldn't hurt watching the fifth first, but I'd rather start at the beginning.

I'd only seen the fourth one before watching the fifth, honestly the story isn't very complicated. If you haven't seen any of the others you'll be fine. Though I do recommend at least watching the fourth, as it's a fine specimen.

Also, Rogue Nation is a great action film. Probably the funnest I've seen this year barring Fury Road. Also, Simon Pegg is great, he actually reminded me a good bit of his role in Hot Fuzz.

I've seen a whole lot of other movies over the past few weeks, since I've been traveling a lot, so I'll get to reviewing those later.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Gumby the Movie
Watched with a girl on her iPhone while at work.  It was a slow day.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Is it a stop motion movie? I've never heard of it before.

Yes.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

2001: A Space Odyssey
I think this has been over-hyped. At the time the special effects would have had its audience completely in awe, but looking past the technical achievements the film's greatest strength is probably in its sound design. The use of classical orchestral pieces was a stroke of genius, particularly the piece used whenever the black monolith appears (I need to look up what that piece was, there was something genuinely disquieting about the chorus of voices, like a chorus of Hell).

Spoiler (click to read)

This was probably done best with the apes, where they wake up one morning and suddenly the black monolith, seen for the first time, is standing over them. Considering I went into the film not knowing what it was going to be about, or that there was even going to be an alien presence, this was quite a shock, and the music heightened the tension in a really triumphant way.

However, there were a few issues with the story and with pacing. I don't mean there were plot holes, I just mean that it was difficult to care about any of the characters. The way it jumps from one set of characters to another and then to another without any real sense of closure (in the middle section in particular) makes it a struggle to really get a sense of where the film is trying to go, or what it's trying to say, or who/what we are actually trying to follow. Maybe the difference in average attention spans then/now has something to do with that, but certainly from my point of view I found large chunks of the story to be dissatisfying.

I'm afraid that includes the end.

Spoiler (click to read)

While the wormhole sequence was very well done, and its message was very clear, the final sequence in the aliens' collection became truly pretentious (not quite as badly as Solaris, for this sequence still had some genuinely well-thought-out inferred meaning) in the way various metaphors were visually constructed, and in my opinion it ends the film on a really morose note. Yes, it's clear that Dave has been granted all of this knowledge by the godlike aliens, but he's still just their experiment, and when he is returned to Earth it's in a form which can be argued is no longer even him, or is him but transformed in such a way that he cannot return to his old life.

Maybe I'm just being odd, but while the film was a technical marvel, even by today's standards, it still didn't gel with me. I'm not saying it's a bad film, because it's clearly not, but I feel that it's over-hyped and given more kleos than it deserves. Yes it's good, no it's not the epitome of sci-fi as a genre.

What was nice was finally getting about a million references from other media. There's so much of 2001 in everything: Interstellar, Star Wars, Moon, even The LEGO Movie and some of the Connery-era Bonds.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

It's also historically inaccurate mini/lol

William Osborne wrote:

It's also historically inaccurate mini/lol

Spoiler (click to read)

For all we know, David Icke might be right. Aliens might have had a hand in human evolution. We don't have any evidence to properly support ancient astronaut theories, but we also don't have any evidence to entirely disprove them...

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

He's perhaps referring more to the fact that none of that actually happened 14 years ago mini/smile

I find Kubrick films easy to admire and hard to like. He's quite a cold director. Barry Lyndon is about the only one I've really got on with on first viewing.

I also just watched 2001 and was disappointed by the story. I understand it however I just didn't very much enjoy it. What I did enjoy was just about everything else, the visuals, the sounds, all of it was excellent and still looks better than some films we get today. It's a shame that the story wasn't expanded to become a little more complex, especially considering that what it told could have been told in far less time. The pacing was glacial at points.

0ldScratch wrote:

He's perhaps referring more to the fact that none of that actually happened 14 years ago mini/smile

Yeh, that's what I meant mini/smile

jampot wrote:

2001: A Space Odyssey
The use of classical orchestral pieces was a stroke of genius, particularly the piece used whenever the black monolith appears (I need to look up what that piece was, there was something genuinely disquieting about the chorus of voices, like a chorus of Hell).

Kubrick used classical pieces as temp tracks for the film, then liked them so much he rejected the original score composed for the film and used the classical music instead.

The piece you're looking for is Requiem by György Ligeti, and yes, its really well-used (Its also used to great effect in the HALO jump scene from the recent Godzilla film).

Last edited by Willco66 (August 24, 2015 (11:54am))

Last movie I watch was 2012. It was iffy to me. Spectacular vfx, but the story is was a bit lacking. The cinematography is great, but it could have done better. The actors try there best in the film, I think they did a good job.

Overall its - mini/blankexpression

Making Motion  Youtube

Another historically  inaccurate film mini/smile

2001: A Space Odyssey to me is a wonderful film... but 1) people who want action will not find it.. 2) Arthur C. Clarke isn't known for deep characterization  3) Kubrick leaves some things open to interpretation generally in his films and specifically in this one, never saying clearly exactly what is behind the mystery.  This may be disappointing to some.

Spoiler (click to read)

The ending of the film where Bowman is turned into the star-child is supposed to be an analogy to when the primates, guided by the monolith are ont he path to the human race.  The monolith does not control the direction of mankind, but it is a catalyst for intelligence.

I do recommend that you watch 2010, the sequel, which answers some of the questions that arose in 2001, and also has a lot more dialogue and political intrigue and tension.  It is directed by another (Peter Hyman) but compliments the first well and often satisfies those critical of the first movie.

I didn't like 2001, it doesn't really make sense. The middle kinda makes sense with Hal going mad and all but the beginning and end are weird with the apes beating each other up and the "Divine Embryo" floating around space make 0% sense. It has great visuals and I know it's a cinematic achievement, but I just don't like it's weirdness.

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.

I enjoyed 2010, but I did not like that it tried to answer questions. And in a relatively disappointing way. The questions posed in 2001 can be answered in so many different ways, it almost doesn't feel right to let the curiosity of figuring out the answer oneself be spoilt by another movie, with only one of the possible answers: that's probably why 2001 is remembered to this day, and 2010 is almost never talked about.
It's like watching the original star wars trilogy and the prequels: I may enjoy them (I grew up with them after all, I don't despise them as everybody else does), but I simply cannot accept that C3PO was made by young Anakin, among other things.

About 2001, I suggest to watch it again in the future, even if you think you get it all in one view: one thing is to understand the message, another is to understand the movie, there's more to it than just the message. I say this because some people I know (me being one of them) appreciated the movie much more the 2° time, not worrying about "the plot". And I appreciated it even more the 3° and the 4° time.
Then I needed a break, I'll let you know about the 5° time ...

P.S.: I was recently watching a sort of documentary on the making of 2001, and was surprised that the artist commisioned to paint the earth in the space sequences didn't actually know how it would look like, since he made it before men went to the moon. He was pretty accurate nonetheless.
And it's not weird.

Actually, it is weird, and real life is weirder.

CAUTION:
THE SPOILERS AHEAD ARE FOR NOT ONLY 2001 and 2010, but 2061 and 3001 as well!!!!!!!!

Spoiler (click to read)

By the way, one thing that's not explained in 2010 is what the monolith actually is.  So there is still a lot to talk about.  Then there were the next books in the series, books that never got made into movies.  2061 is more of an offbeat adventure that DID explain the monoliths.  Very anti-climactic but I like the book anyway.  And there's the utterly horrible 3001.  All the previews and reviews for 3001 told you the best part of the story, the first two chapters.  So it's no spoiler that Frank Poole is found and brought back to life.  Everything after the previews is not worth the read, so I thought I'd give you the best part now.  Stuff like the monoliths are now sent to exterminate the human race, then HAL's ghost infects them with a computer virus.  I told you, the only good part is in chapters 1 and 2.  Oh, and the story doesn't begin until a few years AFTER 3001.

But do return to 2001 as you get older... you catch so much more.  And do enjoy 2010 too.

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

But do return to 2001 as you get older... you catch so much more.  And do enjoy 2010 too.

I'm afraid I kind of refute that. I may catch more on a second or third viewing, as with any film, but not simply because I will be older. It wasn't a matter of not understanding 2001, as I have said, as I was able to engage with this film on its more subtle layers of meaning - I simply didn't enjoy it.

I have 2010 on DVD and shall probably give it a watch in a few days...the friend who gave it to me (along with 2001) said 2010 felt like a worthy sequel. I don't mind if there are no answers, as I kind of like the thick fog of enigma surrounding the aliens but it would be nice to have a more satisfying sense of closure at the end. I'm not saying a happy ending, I just mean something that doesn't leave me feeling as empty inside as 2001 did.

Last edited by jampot (August 26, 2015 (01:25am))

I loved MI:5. This one and Ghost Protocol are still at the top of the heap. It was refreshing to see the Jack Reacher crew take a wack at the series. The trailers didn't look too promising at first, but I was blown away at just how much fun I had. I was never bored with the action, and Benji was great--that bit after the car crash was nothing short of hilarious.

And, really honestly, I was very disappointed with Inside Out. I'm probably the only one, but it felt way too dumbed-down for Pixar's own good, and that's saying something. Kinda sad to see the guy who helmed both of my all-time favourite Pixar movies, Monsters Inc. and Up get lost in this muddled mess. I want to hope for The Good Dinosaur to turn out good, but it seems that Pixar has kinda lost its magic these past few years. I haven't exactly loved anything they recently came out with. mini/sad

Last edited by Mickey (August 26, 2015 (06:44pm))

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Hey, Jampot, I didn't mean anything about when you were older other than that you may have a different perspective on life as you age.  You can re-watch one week later and get more out of it, but I really didn't mean anything other than that, esp. if your first viewing is at a teenage age (that's when I first saw 2001, and I had a different understanding of things as i got older and got a different view)).