Re: What was the last movie you watched?

Sméagol wrote:

I think the homeschooling question is fair. It's hard to notice or be shaken by (frankly rather minimal), casual coarse language like that in Guardians of the Galaxy unless you come from a sheltered upbringing. This issue comes up on this site, unlike most filmmaking sites, because of how many conservative young people we have.

For what it's worth, I generally avoid casual use of profanity in my scripts unless it's very essential to a character, and I certainly don't think swearing is a good thing to do in one's own day-to-day life. This is mostly because of how it makes you look, though. I don't have a moral/ethical problem with a movie that has movie characters cursing in films, just as I would not have a moral problem with a movie that has a movie character doing other things I don't generally approve of, such as murder. If you're glorifying it, or marketing it to young children who don't have as great an ability to discern that can be a different matter, of course. I don't think that's really the intention with GotG, which is rated PG-13, and the characterization of Rocket and others probably would lose a lot of its edge if these murderous criminals were polite enough to avoid coarse language.

Completely agreed, Smeagol.

Though, I would say that if a writer could get away with writing such a murderous character, without out using any swearing, and still be taken seriously - that'd be a much harder feat that just throwing in some words for makeshift 'backstory' and 'character,' which I believe that the film did.

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

But why would they even want to do that? It is more realistic to have these characters cursing, they are rough people.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Frequently watching pg-13 movies I am pulled out of the story because all of the charicters don't speak in a believable way for porple under that amount of stress. People drop f-words when they do something like leave there phone in another room, swearing naturally occurs in tense and stressfull situations, and when no-one swears when life and death are on the line it starts to feel really artifical.

Dyland wrote:

In GotG however, most of the swearing, coming from foreign aliens, really just stood out as rubbish writing.

Good arguements, but I'd like to note that they all appeared to be speaking the same language (save for a tiny bit of Kree). Quill was able to understand all of it, so I think we're meant to believe that he too is speaking in alien and we the audience are hearing the English equivalents.

I respect your opinion, Dyland, but I think you have some unrealistic expectations. The D-bomb you mentioned is mostly considered the most minor and inoffensive curse of all, and I rarely see anyone on this forum or otherwise bother to censor themselves when they use it. I'm sorry if this has caused you any offence, but from my experience this has proven to be true. It may not be right, but it's the world we live in.

If I'm honest, while I don't condone their regular usage, I'm glad curse words exist, and I'm glad people find ways of using them creatively. Otherwise, how would we express moments of great-to-extreme emotion? They shouldn't be used regularly, as then we become desensitised to them, but I believe they have a place in any language, whether it's English, Xandarian, Thal, Gallifreyan, or Shyriiwook.

Moving on...

Limitless
Gr8 muvvie.

The cinematography and vfx were quite experimental, and paid off in giving the film its own distinctive visual flair. Bradley Cooper was aces, as usual, and I enjoyed the ambiguous ending (which is a thousand times lighter than the book Limitless is very loosely based on). There was one gory sequence near the end that was a bit silly, but it didn't detract from the film too much. I still enjoyed it. Don't know how I feel about the TV series plans, though.

Spoiler (click to read)

Important life lesson: always bring an ice-skate-wearing child to a knife fight.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

jampot wrote:

The D-bomb you mentioned is mostly considered the most minor and inoffensive curse of all, and I rarely see anyone on this forum or otherwise bother to censor themselves when they use it.

As someone who grew up in rural Kansas and was a card-carrying Awana member for much of my youth, can confirm I've never heard somebody feel such offense as to use the term "D-bomb" to refer to that word before.

Smeagol wrote:

But why would they even want to do that? It is more realistic to have these characters cursing, they are rough people.

Sure it'd be easy to add in curses to show how rough they are. But, nearly any writer can do that. It'd take a really good (perhaps realistically too good of a) writer to be able to pull off rough characters without rough language. - Or, at least, a lot of rough language, that is. - And, to be fare, this film is pretty low on the "curse-o-meter" of most of the films I watch and enjoy, but, it just stood out in a bad way in this film. It uninterested me, and, thus, I stopped caring. As I said before, the filmmakers were already dead in the water with the first scene for me... It would have taken really memorable characters, a tough villain, and some more gusto to have won me over. And this film just couldn't do it for me. Sad, because I do like the GotG comics, and, would have loved a different interpretation of them...

SlothPaladin wrote:

People drop f-words when they do something like leave there phone in another room, swearing naturally occurs in tense and stressfull situations, and when no-one swears when life and death are on the line it starts to feel really artifical.

Good point there. That's a really good way to tell what I was feeling - the cursing was used unnaturally in the film, and, really, should have been used in times when it wasn't. - If only swearing wasn't used as a way for cheep laughs anymore...

jampot wrote:

I respect your opinion, Dyland, but I think you have some unrealistic expectations. The D-bomb you mentioned is mostly considered the most minor and inoffensive curse of all, and I rarely see anyone on this forum or otherwise bother to censor themselves when they use it. I'm sorry if this has caused you any offence, but from my experience this has proven to be true.

No offense taken, Jampot. To tell you the truth, I use the "D-bomb," as you put it, a lot irl. However, as a moderator, and since this is a site that kids do use, I just thought that it'd be a bit immature and unprofessional of me to type it here. I wouldn't be comfortable saying it in front of little kids, or any elders, and thus, won't say it here. I guess that's just some over-protective self-moderation on my part.

Youtube on the other hand... watch out! mini/tongue

Dyland wrote:
Smeagol wrote:

Sure it'd be easy to add in curses to show how rough they are. But, nearly any writer can do that. It'd take a really good (perhaps realistically too good of a) writer to be able to pull off rough characters without rough language. - Or, at least, a lot of rough language, that is.

But you haven't provided a reason to bother with attempting the feat. This is like saying "it would take a great writer to pull off a serial killer without him killing anyone in the film." Yes. I agree with you that it would make it harder. But unless you've got a very specific artistic purpose in doing it that way, it's generally going to be detrimental to the characterization. There's no reason to do it. Unless of course you think it's morally wrong to show that in a film, which you've said you do not think is the case based on your agreement with my earlier post. (I suspect you actually do have a moral problem with it, or you wouldn't bring up the possibility of contriving ways to write a rough character who doesn't curse.)

Sméagol wrote:
Dyland wrote:
Smeagol wrote:

Sure it'd be easy to add in curses to show how rough they are. But, nearly any writer can do that. It'd take a really good (perhaps realistically too good of a) writer to be able to pull off rough characters without rough language. - Or, at least, a lot of rough language, that is.

But you haven't provided a reason to bother with attempting the feat. This is like saying "it would take a great writer to pull off a serial killer without him killing anyone in the film." Yes. I agree with you that it would make it harder. But unless you've got a very specific artistic purpose in doing it that way, it's generally going to be detrimental to the characterization. There's no reason to do it. Unless of course you think it's morally wrong to show that in a film, which you've said you do not think is the case based on your agreement with my earlier post. (I suspect you actually do have a moral problem with it, or you wouldn't bring up the possibility of contriving ways to write a rough character who doesn't curse.)

I don't have a moral problem with any of it... It's just that, I'm kind of sick of seeing the same things done over and over again. I'd like to see a film about a serial killer where no murders are shown - outside of a documentary, that is. As far as I know, it's never been seriously done, though, excessive swearing and violence has been shown for artistic reasons. Whether you're alright with that or not is all up to the viewer; me personally accepting it if the use of it in art works. It's just the cheep uses of it that get a bit on my nerves.

I would have been just fine with the main character in GotG swearing, but, when everyone else did - mainly within jokes, it started to get too repetitive and, really took me out of the story. And, though the same could be said the other way, (a group of rough gangsters in a big city that only say "gosh" and "darn" would be VERY out of place) I just want to see other things done with what tools modern film makers have. I don't want overused CGI, I want a mix of practical effects with CG and perhaps even some animated elements too - similar to what is being done on the new Star Wars films. The same can be said of language and dialogue. - Id like to see this be explored more than it already has been. It just seems like Hollywood is starting to set itself back by refusing to try new things and experiment more - Guardians of the Galaxy is the pinnacle of this problem, in my opinion.

Dyland wrote:

I'd like to see a film about a serial killer where no murders are shown - outside of a documentary, that is. As far as I know, it's never been seriously done

Se7en.

Nathan Wells wrote:
Dyland wrote:

I'd like to see a film about a serial killer where no murders are shown - outside of a documentary, that is. As far as I know, it's never been seriously done

Se7en.

Oof, that's an excellent movie. And wholly appropriate.

Spoiler (click to read)

What's in the box?!?!?!?!?!?

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Nathan Wells wrote:
Dyland wrote:

Se7en.

Silence of the Lambs.

Why can't more of films like these be made?! Silence of the Lambs was awesome!

AquaMorph wrote:
Nathan Wells wrote:
Dyland wrote:

Se7en.

Silence of the Lambs.

I'm pretty sure there was also a Sweeney Todd (long before the Johnny Depp one) where it cuts away, just before every murder, and yet it's still more chilling than the musical one.

AquaMorph wrote:
Nathan Wells wrote:

Se7en.

Silence of the Lambs.

The movie "Clue."

Footnote - Smeagol informed me that there isn't a serial killer in this movie.
But honestly, how do you know that the 'murderer' wasn't a serial killer beforehand?

Edit…."Kiss the Girls."  "Identity."

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

I'M NOT SHOUTING.

ALRIGHT I'M SHOUTING I'M SHOUTING I'M SH--

*clunk*

And here I am still having not seen GotG. mini/blankexpression

Speaking as someone who was homeschooled for much of their life and had what you probably would define as a "sheltered" life, I've become accustomed to other people using crude language and suchlike.  Just to be clear, I certainly don't like it and don't do it myself.  I generally feel uncomfortable around people who use it, especially in a very casual manner whilst referring to trivial things, or even for no inherent reason.  However, I've found it to be useful to not be "shocked" by other people using bad language.  I don't mean that one should learn to like it or even become used to coarse language per se, but rather just to be mindful that other people may have a tendency to curse regularly.

Regarding the whole cursing-in-movies thing I would agree with Smeagol's stance.  I only dislike bad language if it adds nothing to the film, or is there just for the sake of being there.  If that's the case it completely ruins my engagement with the film and takes me right out of it, and also generally shows that the writers really have nothing better to offer.

Sméagol wrote:

I don't think that's really the intention with GotG, which is rated PG-13, and the characterization of Rocket and others probably would lose a lot of its edge if these murderous criminals were polite enough to avoid coarse language.

I really want to write a script about some extremely polite criminals who ruthlessly murder anyone who gets in their way now.

I actually think that chilling politeness and/or a generally quiet demeanor a la HAL 9000 (or John Reese of Person of Interest for a non-villainous example) can be a lot more effective and intimidating than excessive swearing or shouting. if done right.  It's why Colonel Hans Landa from Inglorious B@$t3rds is one of my favourite cinematic villains.  He's polite and charming, and may even seem to be a genuinely good-natured and nice person at times--and then he utterly crushes his opponents without even raising his voice.

Anyway, we should probably get back on topic now or something.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Nathan Wells wrote:
Dyland wrote:

Se7en.

Uh, while I've never seen said film, I'm pretty sure that the depiction of extremely gruesome murders is a big part of the film (and, not coincidentally, why it got an "18" rating...)

Also, I know it's not a film, but nearly every single murder that occurs in Death Note, with one or two exceptions, happens "off-screen" (off-page?).  That's the only example that comes to my mind right now.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (September 16, 2014 (03:54pm))

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college

FlyingMinifig wrote:
Nathan Wells wrote:
Dyland wrote:

Se7en.

Uh, while I've never seen said film, I'm pretty sure that the depiction of extremely gruesome murders is a big part of the film (and why it got an "18" rating...)

No actually mainly the language.

FlyingMinifig wrote:
Nathan Wells wrote:
Dyland wrote:

Se7en.

Uh, while I've never seen said film, I'm pretty sure that the depiction of extremely gruesome murders is a big part of the film (and, not coincidentally, why it got an "18" rating...)

No actual murder by the serial killer is ever seen taking place during the entire run of the film; only the aftermath.

It fits the narrow criteria set forth.

Nathan Wells wrote:
FlyingMinifig wrote:
Nathan Wells wrote:

Se7en.

No actual murder by the serial killer is ever seen taking place during the entire run of the film; only the aftermath.

It fits the narrow criteria set forth.

Ah.  I was under the impression that the criteria specified no gore/violence being depicted at all, which would include the aftermath as well as any depiction of the murder itself, but within this context it would make sense.

Coming to think of it, this type of set-up is actually a fairly common plot device--I mean, just look at every police procedural/forensic investigation/courtroom drama TV series ever made.  It usually starts when someone discovers a body, and the investigators attempt to reconstruct what happened.  There's a possibility the actual death might be shown, but it's not strictly necessary (and probably would kill much of the suspense if it was shown).