Re: What was the last movie you watched?

Max Butcher wrote:

Its fairly obvious, judging from when the film actually quotes the book, that the book has a subtlety to it. What is probably a party where many stand around drinking, the film turns into a modern rave. Unless I'm seriously misjudging 20's literature. The juxtaposition between the narration and what was actually going on shows that the novel has obviously been sensationalised. Perhaps the narration has been deliberately rewritten to stand out like a sore thumb (except the ending. That was actually quite well done I thought), but this is the guy who did Romeo and Juliet, which might have worked slightly better if they removed Shakespeare's language - but if they did that then the film would merely be bad rather than fascinatingly painful.

I wasn't saying that you should or shouldn't like the film. I'm saying that purists won't like the film because its clearly slapping about the source material a bit, but if you have no idea what the novel is about then your more likely to enjoy it because you won't be constantly yelling "THE BOOK DID IT BETTER", like I was throughout the majority of The Hobbit.

Since you've never actually read the book, how would you know when the film is actually quoting the book, and when it isn't?  Also, why would you assume people in the 1920s were somehow altogether less prone to holding raves than today?  In the book, the parties hosted by Gatsby are described as being extremely lavish, with (to give some random examples) an entire orchestra for the music and people (most of whom actually barely know Gatsby and turn up uninvited) drinking exotic cocktails and getting drunk (remembering that this is Prohibition era, after all) and dancing.  So it's not just people standing around.  Perhaps not entirely the same as a modern rave, but it's not difficult to imagine it in that context.

I haven't seen the film (though I've read the book), but I imagine Luhrmann is trying to give a modern context to a '20s-era party, and I think that would be quite successful at conveying the extreme wealth of Gatsby.  In fact the entire novel is about sensationalisation, since James Gatz creates the false, larger-than-life persona of Jay Gatsby, whom everyone aspires to be like (in terms of material wealth, at least)--yet while secretly wanting to make things to be exactly the way they used to be, which is the one thing he cannot do.

Also, I for the most part thought Romeo + Juliet was actually well done--except for the usage of the original Shakespearean language, which made nearly all of the dialogue impenetrable and extremely confusing to me.  (Aside from anything else, it made characters talking about their "swords" while using guns seem rather incongruous.)

And film adaptations that aren't faithful to the original source material (sometimes as a matter of necessity) are hardly anything new; there will always be purists who are going to be disappointed in any case.  The only film based on a book that seemed to please nearly every fan of the book I can think of off the top of my head is Lord of the Rings.  Also Watchmen, maybe, since I've heard it's widely regarded as one of the most faithfully adapted movies (though I haven't seen it so I wouldn't know).

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

The only film based on a book that seemed to please nearly every fan of the book I can think of off the top of my head is Lord of the Rings.  Also Watchmen, maybe, since I've heard it's widely regarded as one of the most faithfully adapted movies (though I haven't seen it so I wouldn't know).

Hmm, I don't recall Watchmen getting many positive reviews from fans of the comic in terms of faithfulness. I've still not seen it, but I know from following the production that they changed the ending and removed many of the subplots (arguably necessary, but a symptom of why it probably shouldn't have been made into a film in the first place).

For the record, the most faithfully adapted film I can think of is No Country for Old Men.

The only film based on a book that seemed to please nearly every fan of the book I can think of off the top of my head is Lord of the Rings.

I can safely say, now that I'm reading The Fellowship of the Ring, that even the beloved movie adaptation didn't do so great at staying accurate to the book. It's kind of surprising. It didn't seem to get any complaints about that, and people didn't say "Oh, it messed up so many things!" or whatever. I'm not whining about "how faithful it might be to the book". I'm just trying to put it out there: the movie adaptation that got so much positive acclaim is surprisingly inaccurate to the book.

I'm serious. They didn't even throw Tom Bombadil in there somewhere. And the Ents don't come around until the next film.

Anyways, I watched Old Yeller (1957)

And, it surprisingly is just OK. I mean, I enjoyed some bits of it. I haven't read the book, but a part of me would kind of like to. The film is directed by Robert Stevenson (1905-1986), director of many popular films such as the original Love Bug, The Absent-Minded Professor, That Darn Cat, and Mary Poppins. In fact, I heard he is one of the best filmmakers of the 20th century. Yeah, he's pretty "up there". But, this is one of his earlier films, and it's kinda weak, in my opinion--even if it's a "classic".

The top of the post states that I find the film "OK". It might be one of the best films of all time. But, through my eyes, it's just another "dog movie". Like Marley and Me.

7.2/10

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983)

Well, this is my first watch of this in probably about ten years. And I really don't know what to say.
It certainly has a charm to it that a lot of films lack, but that's about all that's going for it.

The special effects are horrible by today's standards, the dialogue is hit-and-miss, although almost always unintentionally amusing. And the movie logic used is hilarious when you step back and look at it. I did skip most of the Tatooine scenes, as I do have modesty standards. So missing those scenes probably impacted the overall pace and feel of the movie.

Bottom line, I've truthfully got to say that it was a fun journey. Although most of the enjoyment was from playfully mocking various aspects of the movie. I can see how people love and adore it, and it was nice to replay a bit of the past. But I can't say it's a movie I'll be watching often later down the road.

Larmz wrote:

May I inquire into as how many times have you watched "The Hobbit"? Personally I believe it's one of those films you enjoy second time round, knowing what to expect.

I have seen the movie a total of 1 (one) times! But I was considering watching it again before the next one comes out, but now that you've told me that I will definitely watch it again. Thanks! mini/smile

The special effects are horrible by today's standards

aw that's a shame. I always liked those special effects much better than those of today. I feel like stop motion and puppets and things, if done well, look much cooler than just CGI. but I'm pretty much a stop-motion purist I guess so yeah mini/cat

But, through my eyes, it's just another "dog movie".

You have no idea how sick I am of dog movies. To me, the archetype "a boy and his dog" is worse than randomly injecting romance into a story that doesn't need it. It may be because I really dislike dogs, or it may be a shared thing people are tired of. I'm sick of cats being vilified in films, and even when they are not they are portrayed as snarky sassy slytherins for lack of a better description. I have two cats and they are both the nicest friends ever and if Hollywood executives feel like cats are not friendly/relatable enough they obviously have never met a cat in real life! I feel like this is a thing of American culture, because as pets dogs have been popular in the US for much longer than cats. But it still bugs me so much! That must be why I like films like A Gay Purr-ee so much.
Wow, did I really just rant about dog movies? I need to get a life. But it kind of seems like, while dogs own the theaters, the internet is the domain of the cats. Interesting.
I swear if I become a film director I am never going to make a dog movie, no matter how much I am pressured to do so. It's a waaaay overused theme.

To clarify, I like model work. It's cool. And bad model work always looks better than bad CGI. That part was nice, and I liked it. I was also impressed with the great puppet work on Yoda. I was really referring to stuff like the speeder bike chase, the sometimes poor chroma key, explosions not looking right, and the generally less polished feel compared to the films of today.

War Horse (2011)

Worst movie ever. Nuff said.

Fantastic Four (2005)

I don't see why people hate this movie so much, it's really great, good acting, a good story, keeps the same tone throughout the movie. My theory is the reason people hate it so much is because it is less serious than other super hero films coming out at the time (such as X-Men and Spider-Man) but it's still a great movie, I give  it a 10/10

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q799/BrickFIlmerHMS/artforBiM_zps51f66287.jpg

FlyingMinifig wrote:

Since you've never actually read the book, how would you know when the film is actually quoting the book, and when it isn't?

I wrote:

The juxtaposition between the narration and what was actually going on shows that the novel has obviously been sensationalised. Perhaps the narration has been deliberately rewritten to stand out like a sore thumb

Obviously stuff has been switched around, but just like in Romeo and Juliet, its incredibly obvious when its quoting from the book and when new dialogue has been added.

Whilst I actually really like your point about the film being exaggerated because the book was exaggerated (first person narrative is great for portraying a characters bias), the films updates the setting without actually updating the setting. Its still supposed to be the 20's, but its a hypothetical 20's......wait.....that makes perfect sense!

OK, so the party was still far too overblown even for an exceptionally over-active imagination, but everything else....yes.....the casting of Leo as Gatsby, the ridiculously large house, the vivid colours, the 20's as seen by a man who's been hit by the 30's stock market crash and is looking nostalgically back to the glory days....FLYINGMINIFIG YOUR A GENIUS!!

I'm sorry Baz. Maybe this is all accidental on your part, but I'm sorry I just assumed it was your incompetence rather than you actually thinking things through. Incidentally, I still think Moulin Rougue and Romeo and Juliet are bad, although I get why some people like them...and its probably for the same reasons as above...

YouTube
Max, She/Her

Squash wrote:

Hmm, I don't recall Watchmen getting many positive reviews from fans of the comic in terms of faithfulness. I've still not seen it, but I know from following the production that they changed the ending and removed many of the subplots (arguably necessary, but a symptom of why it probably shouldn't have been made into a film in the first place).

For the record, the most faithfully adapted film I can think of is No Country for Old Men.

That's interesting.  Most of what I've read about Watchmen seems to praise it for being faithful to the book, and from what little I've seen of it (a few clips on the internet) I would generally agree (though they did change the scene in which Rorschach goes from being "Kovacs dressed up as Rorschach" to Rorschach proper).

Also I didn't know No Country for Old Men (another film I still need to see) was based off a book.

Mickey wrote:

I'm not whining about "how faithful it might be to the book". I'm just trying to put it out there: the movie adaptation that got so much positive acclaim is surprisingly inaccurate to the book.

I'm serious. They didn't even throw Tom Bombadil in there somewhere. And the Ents don't come around until the next film.

I wasn't specifically referring to how faithful the adaptation was, but how well it was received.  Considering the scope and length of Lord of the Rings, most of the changes in the film version come across as necessary and there at least seems to be some reason behind it.  Tom Bombadil only appears in one scene and doesn't add all that much to the story itself--and in a film already two-and-a-half hours long it would be overkill to add him, so I understand why he wasn't included.  Same with the ending of Return of the King--the book's ending differs substantially from the film version, but staying true to it would make the ending seem anticlimactic (indeed, it even felt somewhat anticlimactic in the book itself), and would just add more unnecessary length to an already long film.

Max Butcher wrote:

Obviously stuff has been switched around, but just like in Romeo and Juliet, its incredibly obvious when its quoting from the book and when new dialogue has been added.

...OK, so the party was still far too overblown even for an exceptionally over-active imagination, but everything else....yes.....the casting of Leo as Gatsby, the ridiculously large house, the vivid colours, the 20's as seen by a man who's been hit by the 30's stock market crash and is looking nostalgically back to the glory days....FLYINGMINIFIG YOUR A GENIUS!!

I'm flattered that you consider me a "genius".

My point still stands--you haven't read the book, therefore you cannot tell for certain which lines are originally from the book.  You might be able to guess when that is the case, but unless you have some form of telepathic extra-sensory perception that allows you to determine when films are using original lines and when they're not without having ever read the source material (which I very much doubt is the case) you still cannot know for sure until you pick up a copy of the book and start reading.

Also, I'm not sure what the casting has to do with anything we've discussed, and the house is also described as being ridiculously large in the book.  Colour too is highly important and symbolic--the novel contains phrases like "blue lawn", "verandas gaudy with primary colours" and "yellow cocktail music", to give but a few examples.  Perhaps you should actually read the book first before passing judgment on how accurate the film is to the book?

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (May 31, 2013 (09:11am))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Max Butcher wrote:

Incidentally, I still think Moulin Rougue and Romeo and Juliet are bad, although I get why some people like them...and its probably for the same reasons as above...

Yeah, I loved Moulin Rougue but hated Romeo and Juliet. I actually liked the modern themes incorporated in Rougue, especially the music.

I haven't seen Gatsby yet, but I've heard from friends that it's a pretty poor adaption of the book (Which just happens to be one of my all time favorites).

http://tinyurl.com/krwj4ek
http://tinyurl.com/kvxr6umhttp://tinyurl.com/kxofj4mhttp://tinyurl.com/k5fw3syhttp://tinyurl.com/m4rv8tf

I should read Gatsby.

And topit, I'm more of a cat person as well. I wish they would have more "a loyal cat saves a little boy" types of films instead of so many "a loyal dog saves a little boy" types of films. Cats are awesome.

Babes In Toyland (animated)

I am not joking when I say this is probably the most interesting amazing movie I've ever seen in my life. As I watched this film, I experienced the most surreal experience I've ever experienced. Not only that, the characters were appealing and endearing, the story was interesting and kept me on the edge of my seat, the musical numbers were astounding, and the whole film left me wanting more.

I did not go into this film expecting to love it, I was in fact going in thinking I would hate it, as it looked like one of those horrible 80's animated films.

So yeah, Babes in Toyland is my new favorite movie. Of all time.

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Juggernaut Pictures wrote:

I haven't seen Gatsby yet, but I've heard from friends that it's a pretty poor adaption of the book (Which just happens to be one of my all time favorites).

A friend of mine who read it says exactly the contrary.

Epic

this movie was trooly EPIc! LOL!

JK!! You're back!

I hope you've learned your lesson: no more spams!

nah getting banned from bricks in motion was actually my life long dream which i have successfully accomplished

so now i know how to get banned if i ever feel the need for adventure

anyway gonna go see either Into the Darkness or The Great Gatsby, havent decided yet.

stare truck: in2 dorkness
I just saw this, yeah it was pretty good but nowhere near as good as the one with the whales. You should go see it Just Kidden! Also glad to see you are back!
I'll put everything else I have to say in spolier tag

Spoiler (click to read)

So yeah it was cool how they did the alternate universe thing and had that mirror of the Wrath of Khan with the radio active stuf.. So when they first opened the missile and saw a person inside I thought it was going to be Gene Roddenbury because you know they kind of sent his remains into space and stuff but nope it wasn't! And chekhov is totally adorable he sounds like Pistachio Disguisey!
I have this weird habit of laughing at serious parts of action movies so when they had the automatic seatbelts I just totally lost it for the whole film and whenever someone would do something like fall off a spaceship I woud just burst out laughing for no reason but it was still a really good film.

Enchanted

I love this movie, even if I am a bit embarrassed to admit it.

The film throws in so many Disney/Fairy Tale clichés. I especially enjoy the wonderfully subtle hints and nods to classic Disney films, even ones that don't contain princesses. I think I'm just a sucker for in-brand marketing and cameos, but I can't help but feel like this film like Who Framed Roger Rabbit or Wreck it Ralph, only without all the cameos.

All six original Star Trek films

Wrath of Khan felt like the peak of the series while Final Frontier felt like the lowest point possible. Yet somehow the films' best scores are from the two worst movies (V and Motion Picture) But then again that is probably just my personal preference.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

Only God Forgives

The cinematography and set design were extraordinary, one of the best I've seen. Really loved the colours and overall look of the film. The soundtrack was lovely too, except when there's a thai guy singing.

That's about all I can say about the movie. The first part consisted mostly on people walking, pannings and tracking shots.
About the story... it looked like they improvised while shooting:
"Hey, what do we do now?"
"Hey, we could do a scene where I start punching people for no apparent reason"
"Yes, great idea, let's do that"

The violence. Most of it was mindless. In one part, a guy who should be screaming in pain sounds like Peter Griffin, just a little louder. The violence wasn't always effective because the picture was so distant, viewers couldn't connect with what was happening on screen.

There were a few scenes I liked and one or two unexpected things that happened (that's quite an achievement for a movie about violence with little to no story, now that I think about it), but overall it was a mess. I would have preferred to see an exact unoriginal copy of Drive (which I didn't love, as everyone seems to, although it was a very good movie).
Watching this movie I understood the difference between being ambitious (example: Cloud Atlas, which I loved) and being pretentious (example: this movie). Disappointing.

Here's what a critic said about it (contains sexual reference):

Spoiler (click to read)

"[...]by far the most pertinent scene comes early on when we watch a girl !@#$%^& *!@ while Gosling is tied down to a chair.

Oh, what a wonderful analogy for the entire film."

Couldn't have told it in a better way.

The cinematography was wonderful, though. 1.5/5