Re: BRAWL 2013

Willco66 wrote:

Are we allowed to have our videos be public before BRAWL ends?

Rules & Requirements wrote:

• Entries may NOT be made public before the deadline of the competition.

Former BRAWL host, 2013-2017
             Youtube   Twitter

Fun Sucker wrote:
Willco66 wrote:

Rules & Requirements wrote:

• Entries may NOT be made public before the deadline of the competition.

Okay, thanks, I was reading through the rules and must have missed that one.

I am getting rather excited for BRAWL. Especially since I will be away this week without any access to the forums mini/sad

At any rate, I will be back on Sunday just in time for all the wonderful shenanigans of BRAWL!

Though, I will not be able to enter because of Contrast, I should be available to do any voice work for anyone who is in need.

-WT

Hey, guys, I was wondering if any of you could assist me with something.

For BRAWL, I'm trying to make an export preset so that I can render and upload my video more quickly (though with a downside of less quality).  I'm wanting to do this so that I can use it in an emergency situation and get it uploaded in time.  Then after the contest is over, make an HD version for the public.
Does anyone know what sort of settings would be optimal for this?  For the most part, I have nearly no clue what some of these settings actually do.

Last time I tried to use a low def export in THAC, it actually took longer than my usual custom HD export to render.  However, I did just barely manage to upload it in time because the file uploaded quickly.

OK, if it's just for a super-quick emergency, put the resolution at something small like 853X480*, which is just big enough to view normally on Youtube, but a lot smaller and quicker to render/upload. Do you export at 15FPS or 30? If the latter, switch to 15FPS. Render in WMV format, and not avi. It makes for much smaller files.

That may help some, but others with the same software could probably be more specific.

*You don't really want to go any lower than this, even in an emergency. The resulting footage will be completely rubbish and it'll make details hard to make out, give it a very fuzzy look, and generally hurt the presentation a lot.

Last edited by Pritchard Studios (July 21, 2013 (12:45pm))

well it depends on what program your using there is, of corse fps (which you know of) set that to whatever you filmed at the aspect ratio which is the dimensions of the image the 2 most common are 4:3 and 16:9 16:9 is widescreen and 4:3 is square i dont think that makes a difference there are all the qualities (you most likely know of) the most common are
240p 360p 480p 720p and 1080p if you want it to render fast i would suggest 240p because it means you need to render less pixels which will take less time if you are in premiere pro you will want to set the settings so you check the box that says use previews to render and uncheck the box that says render best quality i would keep the audio at the default simply because i have no idea what the other options do if you specify what program you will be using i can give you more detailed settings as i am pretty good in post
EDIT oh yes you want to render it a .mov if you are on a mac or a .wmv if you use windows but whatever you do DO NOT render .avi files youtube will screw them up even though they render faster i believe if you are planning o then put it in another program go ahead and do that but make shure .avi is not your final version because it takes forever to upload and youtube screws it up and its horrible

Last edited by masterlego (July 21, 2013 (12:38pm))

http://i.snag.gy/E3VvB.jpg
"Right. He deserves for it to not display right" — Sméagol
YouTube | Google+ | Vimeo | Flickr | Twitter

Thanks for the advice so far.

Right now I'm trying a WMV export at 360 with 15 FPS on Sharks and Clowns (S&C will probably be around the length of what I can make for BRAWL, so it's a good test subject).

I usually watch YouTube videos at 360p, so it seems like a good enough resolution.

I'm about 23 minutes through the export and it's at 40% completion.  So it's not going very fast.
Better than the Lost Invention, at least.

Earlier I tried my typical export but reduced the resolution to 240.  That took about forty minutes.
It doesn't actually seem much faster then setting it to HD.

Squid wrote:

Earlier I tried my typical export but reduced the resolution to 240.  That took about forty minutes.
It doesn't actually seem much faster then setting it to HD.

A 240p 16:9 video took 40 minutes?! My god, I get impatient when my HD video takes twenty:lol: ...how much RAM do you have? Also, what program are you exporting from, and with what codec?

I'm not sure what the specs are exactly.  I've an old computer, and it shows.  It doesn't handle things well.

Though, I have managed to upload the one-hour export 360 video in just five minutes.
So, at the very latest, I could probably start exporting at 5:30 EST on the last day and get it up and submit in time.
That probably doesn't sound very good to people with fancy computers, but that's pretty great for me.

Willco66 wrote:

No because someone can steal it

Troodon, welcome back!

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Troodon wrote:
Willco66 wrote:

No because someone can steal it

Really? mini/blankexpression

The contest runs in such a short time constraint that it's highly unlikely for such a thing to occur.  Most people probably wouldn't be done until the contest is almost over.  In the event that a potential idea thief saw the film, it would be far too late for them to implement it into any sort of film of their own.

Are their even any idea thieves around here? Most of you seem pretty good about that sort of thing.
It seems rather unnecessarily overprotective to me.

Of course, anyone not willing to take the small risk could go about it the careful way.

Getting ready for BRAWL and my computer decides to breakdown...

curse has come early, beware

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

Due to a family trip, I have only 3 days to make my Brawl entry. Dang. mini/blankexpression

I've only got about half the week too. However I may be able to get the script and voice actors sorted while I'm away.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

funmiproductions wrote:

I have only 3 days to make my Brawl entry.

Pssh. I made my BRAWL entry in 5 hours. It sucked, but I did it.

I believe in you, man. mini/lol

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

I have to whole week, but I think I'm gonna spend that week doing other things than just brickfilm..

http://i.imgur.com/CSwoca1.png

Binding Brick wrote:

I have to whole week, but I think I'm gonna spend that week doing other things than just brickfilm..

I have the whole week, too. I just hope something bad doesn't happen. *knocks on wood*

One day left!

I spent all day today cleaning and unpacking my studio.  It's just about ready now, though many of my models are a bit broken and disorganized.  I'm really tired now.

I'm going to spend tomorrow getting it more organized and ready.
I'm so excited, guys.  I really want to animate something.

OH MY GOSH TODAY'S THE DAY