Re: Contrast: An Unofficial Long Form Contest

Interesting contest.

I really like the theme, Squash! I'll be busy with another brickfilm for a portion of July, but after that I'll see if I can throw something cool together.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Any Ideas? I may enter. Just have to get my exams out of the way! mini/twitch

- Available to compose for any upcoming projects -

I understand that you want entrants to be creative with their films and so you aren't allowing copyrighted music in entrants films but would you allow them in the credits. I would really like to use this song just for the credits because it fits nicely with my story and I think people would still be very creative with their actual projects if you allowed professionally recorded music to be featured in just the credits. The credits are what makes a project complete, allowing the viewer a period to reflect on it when it's still fresh in the mind. Plus silence and/or music that doesn't fit detracts from the project's overall quality and doesn't allow viewers to reflect on the story if the credits don't reflect the mood themselves.

END OF LINE.......

Austyn Ybarra wrote:

I understand that you want entrants to be creative with their films and so you aren't allowing copyrighted music in entrants films but would you allow them in the credits. I would really like to use this song just for the credits because it fits nicely with my story and I think people would still be very creative with their actual projects if you allowed professionally recorded music to be featured in just the credits. The credits are what makes a project complete, allowing the viewer a period to reflect on it when it's still fresh in the mind. Plus silence and/or music that doesn't fit detracts from the project's overall quality and doesn't allow viewers to reflect on the story if the credits don't reflect the mood themselves.

You're talking about putting a song (Usually 3-5 min.) at the end of a brickfilm (Usually 5 min.). If the film is as long as your credit song, then you should rethink how long your credits should be. Also, if the only people that are working on your film are you and a couple voice actors then there isn't really a need to have long credits anyways. You should pay more attention to what you're doing during the film than when it's concluding.

Also people, there are some nice royalty free music sites that have been posted in the Audio forum, you might want to check them out.

http://tinyurl.com/krwj4ek
http://tinyurl.com/kvxr6umhttp://tinyurl.com/kxofj4mhttp://tinyurl.com/k5fw3syhttp://tinyurl.com/m4rv8tf

Juggernaut Pictures wrote:
Austyn Ybarra wrote:

You're talking about putting a song (Usually 3-5 min.) at the end of a brickfilm (Usually 5 min.). If the film is as long as your credit song, then you should rethink how long your credits should be. Also, if the only people that are working on your film are you and a couple voice actors then there isn't really a need to have long credits anyways. You should pay more attention to what you're doing during the film than when it's concluding.

Also people, there are some nice royalty free music sites that have been posted in the Audio forum, you might want to check them out.

I wasn't planning on using the whole song. I would trim it to fit in the relatively small amount of time and only use a small portion. So my film would be about 5 or 6 minutes of footage and about a minute of credits. I just like the mood it sets at the end and the few select lines of the song that fits perfectly with the story and mood of my project.

END OF LINE.......

Unless you have permission from the copyright holder, only music with permissive (royalty free, public domain, and some creative commons) licenses may be used. Have you thought about asking someone to write music for your film? On top of the people frequenting this site, there are thousands of decent musicians not associated with brickfilms in any way that you could contact on Youtube who would probably be thrilled to get some exposure.

It isn't my intention to make people choose weak music or run their films in silence, but I would like people to step out of their comfort zone for this contest and do something different. If I let people use copyrighted music however they please, there's no impetus for trying anything else- not to mention that the sound portion of the contest wouldn't be much of a challenge. I'd rather get a bundle of entries with new music and find a few silent films in the fray than discover that none of the entrants deviated from the methods they use in all of their independent work.

Squash wrote:

Unless you have permission from the copyright holder, only music with permissive (royalty free, public domain, and some creative commons) licenses may be used. Have you thought about asking someone to write music for your film? On top of the people frequenting this site, there are thousands of decent musicians not associated with brickfilms in any way that you could contact on Youtube who would probably be thrilled to get some exposure.

It isn't my intention to make people choose weak music or run their films in silence, but I would like people to step out of their comfort zone for this contest and do something different. If I let people use copyrighted music however they please, there's no impetus for trying anything else- not to mention that the sound portion of the contest wouldn't be much of a challenge. I'd rather get a bundle of entries with new music and find a few silent films in the fray than discover that none of the entrants deviated from the methods they use in all of their independent work.

okay, thanks mini/smile

END OF LINE.......

I will enter!!

i will enter, but the script I was going to use is becoming way too big.

I have a question:

"Contain only images, sounds, music, and story material which you have the rights to distribute -- no copyrighted content to which you do not have the rights may be used." - Does that include Lego themes? I'm not talking about Batman or Star Wars, but rather, Johnny Thunder and the Adventurers.

I've been trying to make a Johnny Thunder film on and off for the past three years, and haven't animated a single frame. However, this contest has inspired me to do finally do so. When I heard of the contest, I got to work writing a script, but, now I wonder If I even CAN enter this into the contest...

Technically, none of us have "permission" from the Lego company to use their toys. (At least, for resale) So, would an old Lego theme be acceptable, or would it be looked down upon, hindering my chances for even placing?

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

LEGO themes would fall under trademarked series, yes. That doesn't mean you can't make a film about a group of adventurers, but a film specifically about a man named Johnny Thunder would not be permitted.

Ok, thanks. That helps! Glad I wasn't half-way through editing when I asked that question. lol

Ok, so, is this enough of a stretch, or are any of these too close to the original names:

John Grant                    - Johnny Thunder replacement
Penelope Quill               - Pippn Reed replacement
Nicolas Flynn                 - Harry Cane replacement
Dr. Archibald Thatch      - Dr. Charles Kilroy replacement

Baron Edward Vile         - Baron Von Barron replacement
Katrina Dutch                - Alexia Sinister replacement

John Grant, however, may be called "Johnny" by friends, and, most characters look the same, though (some more than others) have changed significantly aside from the minifig's face...

I could add pictures if needed, however, I just want to know if this would be acceptable, or if I should edit a little further in looks and names. Response much appreciated.

I'm assuming that as long as I don't use other trademarks (Like the blimp or specific artifacts) this should be acceptable, right?

Ok, another question. If I include Nerf guns in my animation (the saying of Nerf and the Lego depiction of Nerf guns) will I be disqualified?

Moderator note: please do not use signatures larger than 400x100px.

>okay...

That's acceptable, TrollBridge. Do remember that the judges are going to be looking for originality and creativity in storytelling. Relying on tropes to establish the plot isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you'll need to execute your story extremely well to impress the judges if it doesn't deviate much from standard adventure-serial fare.

@Lavamation: Nerf has become a common descriptor for foam dart guns so I don't have a problem with its use. The intention of the rule against trademarked brands is mainly to keep entrants from building their films around those items; I'm not going to disqualify someone for referencing them in passing (example: normal people don't say "I'm off to play with my plastic building blocks"- in that instance, I wouldn't punish anyone for using the word "LEGO").

I feel like people are worrying a lot about whether I'm going to disqualify them- to be frank I don't enjoy enforcing rules (despite that being part of my job as a moderator). I'll do my best to enforce the rules as I've laid them out here, fairly and comprehensively, but ultimately what I care about is encouraging originality and creativity. I won't go full-lawyer on anyone because they used the word Kleenex in place of tissues. Just do your best to follow the rules and make something fresh and imaginative.

By all means, feel free to keep asking questions if you aren't clear on the rules- I just don't want anyone to feel like I"m sitting here waiting to kick them out of the contest. I care about getting quality entries- the rules are primarily there to promote that.

So I have a question. Say I used stormtrooper minifigures as soldiers of an evil empire. Would that count as violating copyrighted stuff? Sort of like what thefourmonkeys did with Galactic Smugglers? I'll probably give them a different helmet, but in case I get lazy or don't have enough helmets I'd like to check.

I feel that I should be entering but I have a bad schedule mini/sad And knowing myself, I usually make long stuff, its a big problem for me (ESPECIALLY IN EXAMS!) that I write a lot. And with a theme like contrast, I'd go deep. If I get a sudden script that's short enough for me to do but good enough to enter... I go to school tomorrow from holidays (In Australia its a two week break at July), now I've got something to day dream about when I have a bad teacher in class mini/bigsmile

"With those bricks we know and love, anything is a possibility!"-Smoky Air Studios

Daang why do I have to be so lazy

I just got an idea and now it's time to waste my money and start animating again mini/delirium

Maybe...Just maybe...

BISCUIT!
My website is in construction!