Re: What was the last LEGO set you got?

Das Bump.

http://toysnbricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/LEGO-9509-Star-Wars-Advent-Calendar-2012.jpg

I'm counting down to Christmas in style! mini/bigsmile mini/tongue

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Can't recall. Not counting the "collectable minifigures" that I bought here and there, it must be well over a year ago.

My old YouTube is since long ago defunct - now even removed.
Here is my new one.

That advent calander looks really cute mini/smile
I don't like Darth Maul Santa quite as much as Yoda but it's still really cool.

topitmunkeydog wrote:

That advent calander looks really cute mini/smile
I don't like Darth Maul Santa quite as much as Yoda but it's still really cool.

Well, I think it's quite funny, because Darth Maul is easily the least Santa-like SW character ever.  Although, The Emperor as Santa would have been pretty funny too... mini/tongue

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college

Bump!

I got this set for Christmas
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/67/34/19/16/0067341916803_500X500.jpg

It seems like it'll be good for animating in since it's got an open back.

(Sorry for all the extra space in the picture)

I got the Town Hall for Christmas! mini/delirium

http://cache.lego.com/e/dynamic/is/image/LEGO/10224?$main$

Now I have the Green Grocer, Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, Pet Shop, and this. mini/mrgreen

LASF wrote:

NOPE.
Those open-backed buildings aren't good for animating. You can see that it doesn't have a back in an exterior shot and you're severely limited on angles in the small interior space.
They were designed for play, not for animation. It's better to build your own seperate interior and exterior sets suited for your film.

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

minifig051 wrote:
LASF wrote:

NOPE.
Those open-backed buildings aren't good for animating. You can see that it doesn't have a back in an exterior shot and you're severely limited on angles in the small interior space.
They were designed for play, not for animation. It's better to build your own separate interior and exterior sets suited for your film.

It depends.

Sometimes, you may have something in just one room. And you may not need to show that fourth wall at all.
It's like that in a lot of sitcoms, but it doesn't really feel weird.

If you do have an exterior shot, you can simply build a fourth wall. I did this for my heavily modified port in Pirates Rule!

Of course, I usually prefer custom built sets with four easily removable walls so I can do a whole bunch of stuff.

AnnoyingNoisesProductions wrote:

Sometimes, you may have something in just one room. And you may not need to show that fourth wall at all.
It's like that in a lot of sitcoms, but it doesn't really feel weird.

If you do have an exterior shot, you can simply build a fourth wall. I did this for my heavily modified port in Pirates Rule!

Yeah, but the rooms are ridiculously tiny (those sitcom sets are usually fairly large). Also, it's difficult to light them properly.

Even if a wall is added, it's apparent that it doesn't have much depth. There's obviously not enough room to go between floors.
I guess someone could build it out a bit to give it more depth, but it's much easier to build a whole new set than to fix something designed for play.

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

I got the Town Hall for Christmas! mini/delirium

http://cache.lego.com/e/dynamic/is/image/LEGO/10224?$main$

Now I have the Green Grocer, Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, Pet Shop, and this. mini/mrgreen

Which one would you recommend? I seem to be veering towards the Grand Emporium...

pet shop.
great starter....

I plan on getting the hall soon. then the haunted house and the new one comming out....

Carousel wrote:

Which one would you recommend? I seem to be veering towards the Grand Emporium...

Out of the Grand Emporium, Pet Shop, and Town Hall?

I can't really say, it really depends what you want or need most.  For a residential area-type building, the Pet Shop would be the best, but for a grander and more "official" building, the Grand Emporium or Town Hall would be better.  Not forgetting, of course, what sort of bricks you want most.

If you intend to get all three sets, though, I'd recommend going for the Grand Emporium first, because it's been out the longest and will retire the soonest.

AnnoyingNoisesProductions wrote:

Of course, I usually prefer custom built sets with four easily removable walls so I can do a whole bunch of stuff.

I tend to prefer that too.  I think it's more impressive, creative, as well as practical to build your own sets, instead of relying on official LEGO sets.

That being said, some sets (especially the Modular Buildings) look really great as backdrops and suchlike.

Wow, I can't imagine animating inside of one of those things. It sounds... painful.

This is what I got. http://i48.tinypic.com/2119ue9.jpg

FlyingMinifig wrote:
Carousel wrote:

Out of the Grand Emporium, Pet Shop, and Town Hall?

I can't really say, it really depends what you want or need most.  For a residential area-type building, the Pet Shop would be the best, but for a grander and more "official" building, the Grand Emporium or Town Hall would be better.  Not forgetting, of course, what sort of bricks you want most.

If you intend to get all three sets, though, I'd recommend going for the Grand Emporium first, because it's been out the longest and will retire the soonest.

Okay, thanks. I was thinking that it would serve me best to go for the Grand Emporium!

I feel that many of the sets in my local lego store (Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of The Rings) is so boring. You'd get almost nothing for a really high price. I prefer to buy online and choose exactly what I want.

I recently got the Lord of the Rings: Mines of Moria set

I also recently ordered the Lord of the Rings: Uruk-hai Army. It is taking forever to get here  mini/frustrated

I recieved An Unexpected Gathering for Christmas, lets just say, I loves it mini/love
http://images.wikia.com/lego/images/5/5 … hering.jpg

Carousel wrote:

I recieved An Unexpected Gathering for Christmas, lets just say, I loves it mini/love
http://images.wikia.com/lego/images/5/5 … hering.jpg

So. Jealous.    mini/twitch
That set is awesome.

Three set was bought today when I was running around crazy at the toystore.

http://oi46.tinypic.com/dcecfc.jpg