Topic: LEGO Ideas: Brickfilm Contest (Blacksmith Shop)

Yep! You read the title right. Lego Ideas is having a brickfilming contest!
I thought that some of you guys would like to compete in this contest, so here is the info!

The theme is 'without the blacksmith' to celebrate the release of the Lego Ideas blacksmith shop.
The time limit is 5 to 30 seconds.
The contest starts today (February 1st) and will end on March 16th.
The first place winner will win the 21325 LEGO Ideas Blacksmith, the 21322 LEGO Ideas Pirates of Barracuda Bay, and the 10223 Kingdoms Joust.

Here is the link to the blog post containing the information on the contest.
https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0 … 68e971f8f8

Hope to see you there!

Last edited by Owen Garcia (February 1, 2021 (01:04pm))

"Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." Russian Proverb

Re: LEGO Ideas: Brickfilm Contest (Blacksmith Shop)

Thanks for letting us know, 2x4! I've published a blog post for the homepage about this.
https://blog.bricksinmotion.com/lego-id … m-contest/

I'd love to enter, I just hope I have enough time, haha. 30 seconds doesn't seem too bad, to be honest. I was a big fan of the old ReBrick contests, so I'm really happy they're continuing that with another brickfilm contest. Also that LEGO Kingdoms set looks kinna sweet ngl

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

rioforce wrote:

Thanks for letting us know, 2x4! I've published a blog post for the homepage about this.
https://blog.bricksinmotion.com/lego-id … m-contest/

I'd love to enter, I just hope I have enough time, haha. 30 seconds doesn't seem too bad, to be honest. I was a big fan of the old ReBrick contests, so I'm really happy they're continuing that with another brickfilm contest. Also that LEGO Kingdoms set looks kinna sweet ngl

No problemo!
You do get until March 16th. I'm gonna make time to enter.
My thoughts exactly on the Kingdoms set!

"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." Russian Proverb

I submitted the video ,
https://ideas.lego.com/s/ca:c8ec0de2ee2 … 3854c0?s=m

Awesome!

Sadly, I probably won't be able to make an entry because I am really busy this week. But I will try to squeeze in a vid!

The contest is cool! Here's a link to the one I made: https://ideas.lego.com/challenges/8bd43 … ee9bf58ddb

IKOLego wrote:

The contest is cool! Here's a link to the one I made: https://ideas.lego.com/challenges/8bd43 … ee9bf58ddb

Great!

Last edited by Owen Garcia (March 12, 2021 (05:01pm))

Blockhead and I are almost done ours, hope we make it... mini/eek

"Whatever that thing AquaMorph said about french kissing that's always in people's signature"
Married? Solder you balls now.

Puskov wrote:

Blockhead and I are almost done ours, hope we make it... mini/eek

Fingers crossed! I don't have time to make an entry though, sadly. mini/sad

Literally just saved my video! hey, just a question, are there rules about when we can make our blacksmith video public on youtube?

Check out my channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTVza3 … 6-BrRO5vjA

I didn’t see anything in the rules about releasing your video on YouTube but the videos people made have been public since they were uploaded.
I mistakenly uploaded ours to YouTube last night and THEN went to enter it on Ideas and realized I had made an error. I’m just waiting for our entry to show up in the playlist and hope it’s not rejected like adruber’s was. I’d hold off just in case- there’s only about 8 hours left in the contest.

Jared

Arrrrgh! So we finished on Saturday, but when we tried to upload it, the darn entry thing glitched, even when we tried it on separate computers.  We're still going to release it, but it's pretty frustrating. Oh well

"Whatever that thing AquaMorph said about french kissing that's always in people's signature"

Puskov wrote:

Arrrrgh! So we finished on Saturday, but when we tried to upload it, the darn entry thing glitched, even when we tried it on separate computers.  We're still going to release it, but it's pretty frustrating. Oh well

I'm sad to hear it Puskov! I entered as well (just threw together something quick really), but I also had quite a bit of trouble with uploading my entry to the site. I had to try it like five times before it worked. Luckily I was done a few days in advance, so I managed to get it working before the submission phase closed. But yeah, I'm excited to see yours once it's uploaded to youtube anyway!

Puskov wrote:

Darn glitches. I  hate it when that happens. I can't wait to see it though!

I remember when we uploaded our entry it took between 35-45 minutes to upload and I didn’t want to do anything else in case it refreshed or went to sleep- so I just stared at the screen and wiggled the mouse around for awhile. Judging by the amount of entries received between Saturday and Monday (120 or so) we might have been uploading when everyone else was. I’d like to see your entry Puskov even if it’s not in the contest. I haven’t started watching the last half of them yet- I’ve watched about 150 already.

Jared

Puskov wrote:

So sorry about that!! When we uploaded ours, it took almost all day to save the video so that it fit Lego's very specific rules on how wide the screen had to be. I'd like to see your video even if it's not in the contest.

Thanks everyone! We’re also putting together a very small BTS video, but we’ll release ‘em both soon!

The contest results are out!

1st place: Art of the Anvil - by LEGOParadise

2nd place: Better Times are Coming - by SPELBRICKS

3rd place: Swords-free Brickfilm - by Korneplod

What are your thoughts on the winning films?
What are your thoughts on the judging?
What was your favorite film in the contest?

Spoiler (click to read)

My favorite of the top three was third place, because it was the only film which placed that had a creative story. The other two just re-created the prompt video.

I am excited though, for some more of these Lego Ideas brickfilming contests to come out!

Here's the link to the blog post on Lego Ideas: https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0 … 5e54c806cf

Last edited by Owen Garcia (April 2, 2021 (12:25pm))

I agree, the third place is definitely the most interesting. First looked quite nice but it was so disjointed intercutting the blacksmith working with all the metal goods disappearing. Especially with the jousting knights keeping their armour...
It didn't really sell the idea that this was happening due to a lack of there being a blacksmith.

To be honest, my favorites didn't get in, but I was kind of expecting that, because LEGO predictably goes towards more commercial-ish films, as they're posting the winners on social media. Of the three, my personal favorite was the second, I liked the look, and animation. The fact that he had the actual set probably got him up the ranking more, but I still really liked it. The set design for first place was really awesome, but yeah, the shots and orginazation of the plot stunk, and the animation was not great. The first time I watched third place, I actually really didn't like it, but now after a couple rewatches, it's really close with second place in terms of my preferences. I really loved this contest, and was really frustrated I didn't make it, but it would be awesome if LEGO did more of these contests, as long as we people realize the winners aren't necessarily the best, just the most appealing to LEGO.