Re: Septemberfest 2010 Contest [CLOSED]

A red torso connected to yellow legs would be ok, right?

Happy THACing mini/sunnies

But that would mean he's half naked.

Nah, that would mean he has pee-stained jeans. mini/smile

I am quite excited, and i may actually enter!

I think i know the perfect concept for this!

Teh Tripod has teh extra boost.

I am devoted to proving that the brickfilm art can be just as serious, emotional, and entertaining as anything in the professional film industry.

Sean, would a title with a black background have to have a mod in it?

Last edited by MadBrick (September 2, 2010 (07:02am))

MadLibs wrote:

Sean, would a title with a black backbroung have to have a mod in it?

Titles and credits don't have to include the mod element.

After some discussion and thinking, I'm going to remove the need for a mod element and go on the trust that people won't submit previously captured footage. I realise this will make a lot of you very angry with me, but so be it. The mod element factor has made this messy enough as it is.
To those of you who have already started capturing footage with a mod element included, I sincerely apologise and hope it doesn't set you back too much. You can still use any of that footage that has already been captured.

To sum that up for those that will unavoidably ask for clarification: No mod elements needed.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Nice Sean, mod elements usually wreck films. And for people doing scripts, shouldn't they be storyboards?

Personally, I think mod elements make the contest more organized.

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

For it to be organised I should have had them from the start, with a better explanation for the newcomers to brickfilm contests. I'm not afraid to admit that I screwed that up.

goldenbrick wrote:

Nice Sean, mod elements usually wreck films.

What?  Every THAC entry has mod elements in every frame, they managed alright.

I suggested to Sean that he might want to consider removing the mod element, but mostly because it wasn't very thoroughly defined and was announced after the start time.  It was a bit of a lose-lose because people were going to complain either way.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

We'll sometimes they seem a little too forced and don't fit in very well.

Admittedly there is a history of people taping hand-written scraps of paper with letters on them to every wall in their sets, which is pretty stupid and distracting and unnecessary.  But it's certainly not difficult to implement the mods in a way that isn't so noticeable.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Sméagol wrote:

Admittedly there is a history of people taping hand-written scraps of paper with letters on them to every wall in their sets,

... mini/cat ...

I'm guilty of doing that. Maybe it is a good thing that the mod elements have been removed... mini/shifty

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

It makes it easier not having to worry about mod elements and honestly, if a film that someone already made was submitted, it probably would not be that great.  Good animators seem to be nice on these forums and I don't believe they would cheat.

I didn't see any problems with the mod element, but I'm happy that it is removed. Nothing is more annoying than to film a scene and then realise you forgot the mod element. It happened to me serveral times!

I think im going to make a entry for this contest

I like stuff...

This is going to be my first contest, I CAN'T WAIT!!!:3
Since I am a new brickfilmer, could anyone be kind enough to explain to me what a "mod" is?:sweat:

Last edited by 1nerdproduction (September 2, 2010 (06:03am))

The mod didn't bother me, but I'm happy that it's gone. Thanks for putting this together, Sean. Now I'm off to the storyboard.

1nerdproduction wrote:

This is going to be my first contest, I CAN'T WAIT!!!:3
Since I am a new brickfilmer, could anyone be kind enough to explain to me what a "mod" is?:sweat:

Welcome to BiM. As explained in previous posts, a mod element is a way of ensuring that a contest entry was made during the time allowed, and not before. However for Septemberfest 2010:

Sean wrote:

To sum that up for those that will unavoidably ask for clarification: No mod elements needed.