Topic: The Way Out [D&L Entry]

Directory Link

The Way Out

Youtube

A man try's to escape the place he's at.

Made for the D&L contest

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

Re: The Way Out [D&L Entry]

Well done. The lighting was very good, no light flicker. It's nice to see another person make a religious based entry!

The opening shots was impressive. The miniscale shot looked great, too. The overall animation was smooth, especially when he fell over - that looked really great.

The first time he was running at the door it didn't really feel like there was much force, you might want to add some arm movement during the running.

The sound design also could have used some work, there were no (or very quiet) sounds when he would hit/kick the door, so I didn't really get the feeling that he was doing more than tapping it.

It's cool that there are several entries to D&L with Biblical messages, kudos for being one of them. mini/wink

It's a bit cliche in interpretation of the theme, but I like the way it's lit, and the set is very nice (I really like the use of chain on the wall). Other than that I agree with Mighty's technical observations. Good job. mini/smile

William Osborne wrote:

Well done. The lighting was very good, no light flicker. It's nice to see another person make a religious based entry!

Thanks! I was very happy  by how many Christian entry's there were this year.

Mighty Wanderer wrote:

The opening shots was impressive. The miniscale shot looked great, too. The overall animation was smooth, especially when he fell over - that looked really great.

The first time he was running at the door it didn't really feel like there was much force, you might want to add some arm movement during the running.

The sound design also could have used some work, there were no (or very quiet) sounds when he would hit/kick the door, so I didn't really get the feeling that he was doing more than tapping it.

It's cool that there are several entries to D&L with Biblical messages, kudos for being one of them. mini/wink

Thanks, glad those shots turned out ok, I was really worried that the mini scale shot didn't look good, so its good to see that it worked. Hmm thats funny because I did actually move his arms, so I didn't think of it, but watching it now I see why it looks like that, I'll have to keep that in mind next time. Yea sound design is probably one of my weakest points so its really helpful to get suggestions/ critiques about it. Thanks!
Yea I was really happy how many Biblical entries there were two! Thanks!

backyardlegos wrote:

It's a bit cliche in interpretation of the theme, but I like the way it's lit, and the set is very nice (I really like the use of chain on the wall). Other than that I agree with Mighty's technical observations. Good job. mini/smile

Thanks! I spent a lot of time on the set [trying to scrape enough dark grey brick together] so its good to see it paid of, I was trying to figure out how to do the barb wire so I was looking on "MOC Pages" and found that idea so I was really happy about that! Thanks!

Thanks a ton guys this is really helpful!
OsomStudios

Last edited by osomstudios (September 2, 2015 (12:34pm))

My Youtube

Beautiful!
Visually, it's fantastic. A great set, incredible lighting, and a nice use of mini-scale techniques.
The major issues are lacking some sounds, as well as the voice actor coming off as way too young for the part. There was a very mature and professional feel to the short, but the single line of dialog, delivered in that way, was fairly jarring.

Otherwise, it is great. And it's nice to see another Bible-based film.

Thanks! Like I said before, sound is probably my weakest point, and I always put it off too long to get good voice actors and then just do the line myself. But its good to know that that doesn't work too good so Im really going to try really hard to remember to try to get good voice actors next time. mini/bigsmile thanks a ton for the input, always good to know what I should work on for next time!   

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment guys its really helpful!

On a different note I just posted some behind the scenes type pictures on my Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Osom-Stu … 7745481853

My Youtube

I didn't realise you had a Facebook page. I will like it immediately mini/smile

I think my favorite part of it was the opening shot. That, combined with the music at the beginning reminded me a lot of a Doctor Who episode (which is always an inspiration for me) and just felt amazing. Then, at the end, I felt it just got really deep all of a sudden, like a metaphor for life. Great animation.

Where Creativity Meets Logic.
Youtube]

I thought it was a neat concept, and I really liked the set design and cinematography on this entry. One of the best-looking entries, in my opinion!

If you want critique, I'd say that while I'm all about dat Christian allegory, I do think it often works better when it's a few layers down as opposed to becoming 100% overt at the end. But then, that's why I don't like most of the Chronicles of Narnia books very much. I guess ultimately what you have to take into account is who your audience is; if it's a Sunday School audience, then this sort of thing may be just what you want to make and I don't have a fundamental problem with that.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

So, I just watched this.
As others have said, the opening shots are quite impressive, and the concept arrives immediatly, just visually: that is not easy to achieve.

Spoiler (click to read)

However... my complaint would be that he didn't actually do a lot to try and get out. It wasn't a real struggle, him just knocking and kicking the door, he wasn't trying hard enough to get out: after all it's a door made of steel (well, plastic, but it looks like it's supposed to be steel), and specifically built to let no one escape. I hoped to see more of the town he was in, maybe looking for tools, or seek help from others to get out, searching for an intelligent way to unlock the door, and by doing that, giving us more hints as to why he wants to escape from that place. Of course he's not going to make it alone and with bare hands: did he really think it would've been that easy?

Actually, I expected that he'd make it to the other side, only to discover that it was just a blank space. This last paragraph was just a thought, not a critique.

I also agree with Smeagol on not being so obvious on the allegory.

Thanks so much guys, this is super helpful

William Osborne wrote:

I didn't realise you had a Facebook page. I will like it immediately mini/smile

Thanks!

semicolonstudios wrote:

I think my favorite part of it was the opening shot. That, combined with the music at the beginning reminded me a lot of a Doctor Who episode (which is always an inspiration for me) and just felt amazing. Then, at the end, I felt it just got really deep all of a sudden, like a metaphor for life. Great animation.

Thanks! When I first heard the soundtrack it reminded me of "Dr Who" also. Glad it felt like that, I wanted it to be a metaphor.

Sméagol wrote:

I thought it was a neat concept, and I really liked the set design and cinematography on this entry. One of the best-looking entries, in my opinion!

If you want critique, I'd say that while I'm all about dat Christian allegory, I do think it often works better when it's a few layers down as opposed to becoming 100% overt at the end. But then, that's why I don't like most of the Chronicles of Narnia books very much. I guess ultimately what you have to take into account is who your audience is; if it's a Sunday School audience, then this sort of thing may be just what you want to make and I don't have a fundamental problem with that.

Thanks! Im glad the visual's turned out, I got inspired to do those onset lights after seeing some of Nathan Wells' awesome stuff from "Appetite Lost". I believe this was my first actual "film" to animate at 12fps and I really tried to give the character some "life", which at first I was afraid made it look choppy, but Im glad it turned out. As far as the allegory goes I wasn't going to add the verse at the end but decided to because God's word is powerful, and I wanted to give people who normally wouldn't read the bible a chance to read a verse. Thanks for the advice! Im not sure what audience I'm aiming for at this point and my films really tend to vary a lot. At the end of the day I think what really matters is that I make and do what what I feel God is calling me to.

MPfist0 wrote:

So, I just watched this.
As others have said, the opening shots are quite impressive, and the concept arrives immediatly, just visually: that is not easy to achieve.

Spoiler (click to read)

However... my complaint would be that he didn't actually do a lot to try and get out. It wasn't a real struggle, him just knocking and kicking the door, he wasn't trying hard enough to get out: after all it's a door made of steel (well, plastic, but it looks like it's supposed to be steel), and specifically built to let no one escape. I hoped to see more of the town he was in, maybe looking for tools, or seek help from others to get out, searching for an intelligent way to unlock the door, and by doing that, giving us more hints as to why he wants to escape from that place. Of course he's not going to make it alone and with bare hands: did he really think it would've been that easy?

Actually, I expected that he'd make it to the other side, only to discover that it was just a blank space. This last paragraph was just a thought, not a critique.

I also agree with Smeagol on not being so obvious on the allegory.

Thanks! Im glad it turned out I have had a hard time in the past making my films clear, so that is a real encouragement. I didn't think of that that it would have made it a lot better! Those are some really good ideas and I'll try to keep them in mind next time....... That last line, so depressing.

Thanks a ton for taking the time to watch it, and comment!
OsomStudios

Last edited by osomstudios (September 23, 2015 (05:01pm))

My Youtube