Topic: The Lego Shootout

Directory Link

The Lego Shootout

Click to watch!

An infamous trouble maker has turned up in an old western town. What will happen?!?

Last edited by Hamsterproductions (October 11, 2013 (07:57am))

Re: The Lego Shootout

I can't watch the video. Link is wrong mini/sad

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Here's the link- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yROT2m6DQFw

That was really good! mini/bigsmile  I enjoyed the story.
I felt the animation improved though the film.
4.5/5

Excellent. Good animation, characters, environments and props, a real story good lighting and staging. That's a whole lotta work right there...

This was great! Even the little mistakes (like light flicking and some choppy animation) this was very very enjoyable. I watched whole film, (I don't usually do that)! The story was fine, pretty basic but I love the feeling and how good the story went whole film. But yeah, I'm bad to judge but I liked this much! So thumbs up and make more these western films. They're cool and YouTube don't have much of them. mini/wink

I've updated all the links folks! Thanks for sending people the right way END films mini/smile I'm really pleased you all like my new video, perhaps I will do another western in the future mini/smile

That was really cool.  As everyone else said, your animation was lacking, but your sound design and story made up for it.  I can't wait to see more from you.

Crazy & funny. The sets were a little poor sometimes, an You should have thought about a better title, but apart from that I got nothing more to criticize.

I can't be staying here too much. I want to get a good education and this isn't going to help me. - StevieCollins

First, I'd like to say how happy I am to see another great "handshake" in a brickfilm. (Something I'd like to think I invented, back in 2010 with JAWS II, but I may be wrong. Still, it's nice to feel like I kinda introduced it to the newer brickfilmers at least.)

As for the film, it's animation reminds me a lot of that of another western: America-Outlawed. In that film, animation, and even sets, can seem a little "under par," when in other parts, it looks brilliantly constructed. And this film is no different, at times the animation and that flat blue background get redundant, however, many parts (the final chase, in particular) are so well paced, and have such good animation, it distracts the viewer from some of the lower qualities: Something all good brickfilmers try to do.

I'm also impressed by the main villain, his head being one used often in brickfilms. Usually, when I see it, I think they probably ran out of pieces. But, in this case, I didn't feel that. His character, even without speaking, is very interesting. It was more like watching a movie with an older, but still famous, actor playing a part. It's great!

One thing, a big thing, actually, that was a negative for me personally, is the voice acting. (Or lack thereof!) If this was a silent film, with only some music, it would have held up better, I feel. It's very hard to get the audience to like characters when they don't talk, and even harder when they DO talk, but only in grunts and stock-sounding effects. (Though, the Wilhelm scream is a nice touch, I'll admit. It did make my laugh mini/tongue )

On the heels of that, something that was a HUGE plus was the Gatling Gun scene on the train. Even people like Nathan Wells have expressed frustration in animating walls breaks. I should know, attempting one in my 2012 THAC entry. (Never doing THAT again) I take my hat off to you, for not only animating it so smoothly, but for even trying something like this at a frame-rate above 8, lol. On top of that, it's not just a wall, it's a moving train!

So, if you take anything away from this, it'd be to be a little more creative with backgrounds and sets, keep up with the great special-effects and pacing, and to add in some voices (Many of which are easy to find on here). I think with some more attempts you'll be right on your way to stepping ahead of the other under-par newcomers, and rise to become a great brickfilmer! mini/smile

5 of 5 stars - I'm sure to watch this one over, and over again.

Last edited by Dyland (October 12, 2013 (07:11am))

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

I loved this brick-film, I have already watched it three times! It had great sound effects, music, and animation. I loved. There was a bit of light flicker though. But it wasn't that distracting, since this video is amazing. 9.5 stars out of 10.

Great job! I can tell a lot of time and work went into this film. I agree with animationIsaac that the animation improved though the film. I enjoyed the humor and the sets! Keep it up mini/smile

The opening shot was grey and empty, and didn't look very good. When a brickfilm starts that way, it's not evident I keep watching. But luckily I did. For inside the saloon, I really enjoyed some of the animation, especially the piano player. And from there, the film just got better and better. The chase scene was incredibly well done. The animation wasn't super smooth, but it looked so natural that it looked good anyway. When the machine gun destroyed the train was probably the peak point of the animation. When the train parts spurted all around, it was so beautiful.

I watched it a second time, and then realized all the effort you have put down into the sound design. The sound in this film was perfectly executed.

You should work on the light flickers and the set design (as mentioned at the beginning of the review).

We see the background very clearly. If you move the set further away from the background, it should help a lot. You should also try to avoid things (in this case the cactuses) casting shadows at the background, but that problem is also gone if you just move the background further away from the set.

In the opening shot, the big gray plate gives a fake and dull look. If you had used a plate with the same color as the ground behind the houses, I think it would have looked a whole lot better.

You also should put a little more effort in trying to keep the same amount of light in every shot of a scene.

But these are just some small things I think would have made the film better. As I've already said, I liked the film very, very much. The animation was very well executed, and the sound design was perfect. There were also some very nice camera movements.

All in all, a highly enjoyable and funny piece of lego animation. Keep up the good work!

-Iver

A Twist of Fate | THAC 11: Fish Tale
Youtube | Twitter

"I see… your name is Bernt."