Topic: LEGO Super Heroes - Spider-Man's Nightmare

Directory Link

LEGO Super Heroes - Spider-Man's Nightmare

Youtube

In this first episode of the LEGO Super Heroes Series, Spider-Man visits the SHIELD Helicarrier to make sure Venom is still locked up. But after Beetle is hired by a mystery employer to break Venom out, it's up to Spider-Man, Hawkeye, Black Widow and Nick Fury to make sure he fails in his attempt.

Last edited by Atlas Animationz (May 1, 2013 (11:51pm))

Re: LEGO Super Heroes - Spider-Man's Nightmare

Forgot something? mini/wink

While I understand the need for some noise on the helicarrier, the sound you chose sounded more like static. Maybe something with a bit more of a fan-like noise. The footsteps used aren't that great. I know you're going for a metal feel, but that the sound belongs to a tiny metal catwalk, not a solid floor. It gets deeper later, but still sounds more like thin metal grating.

Spider-man's voice actor sounds great for him, but Fury's sounds more like Morgan Freeman than Samuel Jackson. (Which isn't bad, just an observation.) Black Widow's actress needs a better mic, but the only reason it stands out is because of the others being so good.

The slide transition took me out of the short, and a fade, or even a simple cut would have been a more fitting choice.
The zoom out with Spidey at the window was executed well. The mouth animation is nice, and the eyebrow is a great touch. I like the spider-sense, it's simple, subtle, and works well. The effects are generally good, with just a couple of rough spots.

Plot-wise, it sets up a larger world, and does a good job at hinting at bigger things. There's a big problem though, it ended....Without an ending. Not titles, no credits, no finishing of the last sentence, not even a "To be continued" slide. I'm guessing that was due to a render issue, right? Anyway, it's a good start, but just be sure to keep that quality up.

Of course, there are a few issues. Because the Spider-sense goes off right as Hawkeye and BW walk in, it leads people to think that they are the cause of it. Then Hawkeye's grumpiness and horrible shot go further to prove that theory. If you didn't want us to know, you should have made it more subtle, but as is, the hints don't pay off...At least not yet. Also, an entire HUGE airlock can be opened with one arrow? Might have been better to have Venom reach over, pull the whole control panel out, and then have the door open.

The animation was surprisingly good, but could use a bit more easing at times.

Good job, can't wait for the next one!

Hey Pritchard,

Thanks for the review mini/smile You make some valid points but there are a few things that I feel I should probably explain. I'm not making excuses in any way, I'm just trying to explain things from my pov.

First off, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'forgot something'? Did I mess up the link or something? I'm assuming so because you said that I had no end credits. I actually have like 30 seconds worth of credits and a 'to be continued' slide mini/blankexpression don't know why it didn't show up when you watched it. So here

I agree with you on the footsteps sound. It was the best I could find unfortunately, since I don't have a good enough mic to record my own. And for the noise in the helicarrier, I imagined it would sound something like when you're on an airplane (obviously). Funny enough the file I used is actually called 'airplane ambiance', but since I lowered the volume it probably doesn't come across as it should. Live and learn I guess:)

As for Widow's voice, I'm with you on that one too. I originally had someone else for the part but she dropped out at the last second, so Emily was the best I could find under the circumstances. But I'm really grateful because she was really nice and sent me the lines in no time flat.

Plot-wise...all I can say is that everything (the spider-sense, Hawkeye, the airlock) was intentional. Now I can't really explain why because that would mean revealing the plot overall. But if it sparked even a little bit of intrigue or curiosity from you to watch the next one, then it did it's job mini/smile

Thanks again for the criticism and 'praises'

Last edited by Atlas Animationz (May 1, 2013 (11:50pm))

I enjoyed it, I am curious where this story Arc goes. I shall keep an eye out for the next film.

Hhhmmm, for some reason the video cut off at the 5:21 mark when I was watching it. (Although it had gotten to the end of the timeline bar thingy.) So looks like I missed more than I thought.

The Youtube link isn't showing up for me in that first post. It's showing up on the directory page, but not here.
And therefore, I thought that you had forgotten the link, sorry for the confusion.

Like I said on YouTube great job. I really like how
you have managed to make Spider - Man act
and behave how Spidey would.
And you nailed his mannerism and sarcasm
as well.
You have the makings of a great series and I really hope
to see you follow through on this and continue to work
and develop it.
I look forward to episode 2

Thanks guys. I'm going to def follow through. The next episode is probably going to be out in July. Fingers crossed.