Topic: Creation

Directory Link

Creation

Youtube

May I present to you Creation, with a custom score by Tom Gudde. This is a story of a man who wants his wife, and will do anything to do so. This movie took over three months to animate and I'm very happy with the way it turned out. I hope everybody likes it! Naturally feedback, opinions and other such things are very welcome.

Re: Creation

I loved the camera movement at the beginning mini/bigsmile

Keep up the great work!

-Concept: 7/10
   -Story: 6/10
   -Cinematography: 8.5/10
   -Music: 6/10
   -Animation: 7/10
   -Effects: 8.5/10
   -Sets: 8/10

→OVERALL: 6.5/10

*The Overall rating as nothing to do with the other categories... It's just my overall appreciation of your film.

Kees, you have definitely stepped up your game with this film! Your technical skills have greatly improved since The Orb of Prosperity. Those camera movements were really nice, especially that opening dolly down shot. Also, the shot where the camera zooms in on the photo of his wife to transition to his memories was really well done. Smooth and flawless. The concept was interesting and original so I applaud you for that. The fact that the film is so open to interpretation is great. I'm glad you didn't force any one meaning at the audience.

There were a few things about this film that I didn't like however. First of all would be the audio. While the music was great and fit well with the film, I feel as if some subtle sound effects throughout the film would have greatly improved the overall impact of the piece. The second aspect that detracted from the film was the title card. It seemed unprofessional and didn't blend well with the film. If it had have been placed more subtly as an overlay in the actual video it would have worked better I believe (more like how your BiM thumbnail looks). Alternatively, no title card would have worked better I think. Obviously there are minor animation errors or areas that could use small improvements, but they didn't take away from the film really.

I really enjoyed the "little" details interjected throughout the film. For example, when the shelf falls and that little 1x1 plate flies up in the air. Little touches like that are always nice. Also, the montage of the creation was well done. Overall this is a good accomplishment which shows a lot of improvement from your last film! Looking forward to seeing more from you! You keep getting better and better, keep up the nice work. mini/smile

Thanks Loic and Spider!

I always seem to have a problem with sound design mini/lol I'm glad you both enjoyed the film and for your quite lengthy posts.I'll take your suggestions into consideration (I'm scripting now). The small details I just add in whenever I'm bored.

I was so expecting that to backfire into some crazy-zombie-vampire thing....But I'm glad it didn't. mini/smile

I'm really not quite sure what to write about this. It was great.
Tom's score was good, and fit beautifully. And it's always surprising just how many of those little emotions to be conveyed through those stiff plastic men.

It's pretty hard to find any flaws in it, which obviously is a good thing. There was a bit of light flicker in a few shots, and a tiny bit of prop bumping, but that was it. It reminded me a lot of Repelling Spider's "Julie" series. No dialogue, mostly music, and lots of emotion.

I agree with Spider about the title, and sound. But probably wouldn't have noticed them without their being pointed out.
I give it a 4/5.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Tom's score was good, and fit beautifully.

Thank you mini/smile

''You don't have to tell him how great is coffee is man!''

The shelf scene was shot beautifully and I thought it synced great with Tom's score. However on the first viewing it threw off the tone of the film for me because the small pinch of humor almost felt conflicting with the drama I was seeing in the film as a whole. Just a couple seconds ago there was

Spoiler (click to read)

a girl coughing blood and dying!

However on the second viewing I felt a little less conflicted. Also I could understand the film and what you were trying to convey better.

This really is a wonderfully shot film, and after three months you should be proud! Nice work.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

Thank you Walter, I appreciate your kind words.

Great film Kees! I just got around to watching it. I love the overall idea of the film, really neat.

I think Spider covered pretty much everything I would have to say, I agree that having sound throughout would have helped a lot. I'm a total sound design nut, so everything little detail and sound effect can help to make the film better. Also, props to Tom for the score, I always enjoy hearing an original track for a brickfilm.

There were a few points of animation that stuck out a bit, like the man crawling and rolling over into bed, but overall it was pretty well animated. I don't know if this film feels too short, or if I just wanted to see more, because to me it ended too soon.

Overall great job. I look forward to seeing your future work.

Very well done.

Repelling Spider wrote:

Kees, you have definitely stepped up your game with this film! Your technical skills have greatly improved since The Orb of Prosperity. Those camera movements were really nice, especially that opening dolly down shot. Also, the shot where the camera zooms in on the photo of his wife to transition to his memories was really well done. Smooth and flawless. The concept was interesting and original so I applaud you for that. The fact that the film is so open to interpretation is great. I'm glad you didn't force any one meaning at the audience.

There were a few things about this film that I didn't like however. First of all would be the audio. While the music was great and fit well with the film, I feel as if some subtle sound effects throughout the film would have greatly improved the overall impact of the piece. The second aspect that detracted from the film was the title card. It seemed unprofessional and didn't blend well with the film. If it had have been placed more subtly as an overlay in the actual video it would have worked better I believe (more like how your BiM thumbnail looks). Alternatively, no title card would have worked better I think. Obviously there are minor animation errors or areas that could use small improvements, but they didn't take away from the film really.

I really enjoyed the "little" details interjected throughout the film. For example, when the shelf falls and that little 1x1 plate flies up in the air. Little touches like that are always nice. Also, the montage of the creation was well done. Overall this is a good accomplishment which shows a lot of improvement from your last film! Looking forward to seeing more from you! You keep getting better and better, keep up the nice work. mini/smile

I find you are not as open as you were first when you first came on this site and seem to only comment on the same people's video's all the time Spider. Why is that?

Outsider wrote:

I find you are not as open as you were first when you first came on this site and seem to only comment on the same people's video's all the time Spider. Why is that?

I think RS comments where he finds it necessary and most helpful.

Unlike most of your posts Outsider.

Look who's back. Ban sentence over already?

~Hal

Outsider wrote:

While I admit that I don't comment on nearly as much stuff as I once did, there are plenty of reasons for it. I don't have as much free time as I used to for one. I have a job, I'm in school, and I do volunteer work in the media department at my church a lot. On top of this, I blog twice a week, still make my own brickfilms, and I have a personal life. Life is busy, so naturally I have to set priorities. Kees is one of my brickfilming friends so I wanted to give my feedback to him. People message me via YouTube all the time with requests and questions about brickfilming and I usually answer all of them at some point, so perhaps it's just that I'm not doing as much commenting on BiM. I do hope to get back to reviewing and critiquing a more wide range of films at some point though, I just don't know when I'll have time.

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/2904/ick0tz.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys! Also funny image Larry!

@Outsider Totally agree with Spider on the subject matter. I'm happy you enjoyed it though.

@Olson Glad you liked it! The reason the film is kinda short is because I have quite a busy life and I don't want it to feel drawn out. I do agree though that it could have been a bit longer.

I really feel that this film should be called something like re-creation, or reanimation.

Anyway, I really, really liked the first camera move. That was marvelous. I have no idea how you did it.
Though, the look of the whole film felt a bit odd. The contrast and saturation were both a tiny bit two heavy, and the lighting was too warm. I would've gone with some colour correction.

As for the end, I thought that it would be far more cool if something goes horribly wrong and he realizes that he shouldn't go around defying nature. He learns his lesson, and learns to move on.
Or, the monster he reanimates kills him in some epic battle.
When he dies you show him in heaven together with his wife again.
Still a happy ending that way. mini/smile

Last edited by Squid (January 29, 2013 (02:35pm))

Squid wrote:

The contrast and saturation were both a tiny bit two heavy, and the lighting was too warm. I would've gone with some colour correction.

That's interesting. For me the color seemed to illustrate a kind of indoor lighting with warm lights, so I didn't find much wrong with it.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8625/16037138950_5eeda635ce_o.png

That was my intention. The warm color were color corrected. The original color can be seen in the flashback, which sort of signifies the border of good and bad (cold is negativity, warm is happy. Kinda like summer). The original ending was different, but I decided to change it because it was ridiculous. It had main character fighting death. It was too cartoony for the film an thus was changed.